Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup managers.

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Can anybody give me some suggestions as to good startup managers for use in my pc running xp pro?
I need to speed up my start time and re-schedule the timing of some programs and remove some others from automatically starting.
Thanks,
J.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jrspie...

First, look at the Options or Preferences in the applications you don't want to load with Windows. Many programs allow you to choose not to.

For those with no options, use the Windows Configuration Utility. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Click the "Startup" tab, find the offending application in the list, remove the tick from the box next to it, and "Apply" the change.

You might also try the free trial of Tune Up 2006 Utilities. This is a pretty slick application that will help you speed things up.

wannabe1

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The free 'Startup Control Panel' is also a good alternative.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml