Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOLVED: advice needed for upgrade options cos my CPU Died

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Howdy,

My Athlon 939 - 3200 CPU is dead. One of it's pins coroded (rusty) and stayed in the socket (ie broke off the CPU) when I removed the heatsink and CPU (the thermal paste held tight). I know that removing the CPU without raising the lever is not a good idea but there was no other option. The rusty pin shows there was a problem anyhow. I removed the pin from the Socket but there is discoloration in that sockethole.

1) I wonder if this will affect performance or means the Mobo is ready for the landfill?

The sensible thing of course would be to test it with a new CPU, which I'll do pending answers below.

I run two SATA 120 Gb hard drives in a RAID 0 array on a GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard.

The OS is on the Raid 0 array (XP Pro).

Here are my questions:

2) Can I replace the CPU with a faster one eg 3500+ as opposed to the 3200+ without reinstalling the Operating system? For example there is a AMD939 3500+ CPU available that is faster AND cheaper.

If the motherboard is a goner then I would like to upgrade CPU and motherboard. However I do want to salvage the data on the RAID 0 array. So lets say I get a faster chip and gruntier motherboard, and then use another (IDE) drive for the operating system.

3) Can I still retrieve the data from the two disks in the RAID 0 array even though I'm not booting off them? If yes what steps/ software are needed?

Thanks in advance

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 17 November 2006 - 07:55 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) If you're certain the processor itself is totally up the duff as opposed to the board, then just do a straight replacement of it, or find somebody else with a working 939 processor and cooling, drop it in and see if your board still works.

2) Yes. Just drop it in.

3) All a RAID array is is two or more drives acting as one. So if your board is still working and you install, for arguments sake, a new copy of Windows on an IDE drive and install the drivers for the RAID controller into it, it should be able to read the full array.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
hi Neil

I just put a new CPU in (upgrade to Athlon X2 4200+ dual core) but there is no signal nor POST beep so it's off to buy a new motherboard. Do I need to get the exact same motherboard to assure access to the RAID array or can I use this opportunity to upgrade the motherboard as well?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Solved, I'm back on line. Now I've got that identical motherboard with the x2 4200+ chip and all this in a new case. I'm a happy chappy.

Once assembled all I had to do was enable the RAID for the two SATA drives and I booted off the old OS :whistling:

I think I found what caused the original corrosion. The computer had been running for about 12 months without the 12 volt connector on the motherboard being connected. Some doofus who didn't know what he was doing never connected that one. At least That's what I'm guessing I ahem I mean that person did wrong...

Thank you Neil for your support. Sharing makes the world go round.