Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD and INTEL

• Please log in to reply

xlambx

xlambx

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey. I was thinking for Black Friday I would go buy new hardware for my computer. My friend told me about motherboard + processor deals. So i started researching but I didn't know what kind to get. He told me to get a AMD Athlong 64 3000+. I researched off Compusa.com: http://www.compusa.c...uct_code=342363. It says that the speed is 1.8GHz. My processor right now is a P4 CPU 2.00GHz, 1.99GHz. So I was wondering are the speeds tested in a different way? Cause his computer seems to be faster than mine. Also I have asked many of my friends and they have differentiating answers. I asked if a AMD processor was 2.00GHz, and P4 processor was 2.00GHz, which one would be faster. An answer from somewhat professionals like you guys would help. And is there a chart somewhere that lists what AMD speed is compared a P4 speed? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The AMD 64 3000+ runs at the equivalent of a P4 running at 3.0GHz, but only clocks at around 1.8GHz. What this helps is that AMD's are able to run cooler and still get the performance of the hotter running P4's at 3.0GHz. The processor you linked to is also 64-bit, which means it will be able to run the new 64-bit operating system coming out by Windows (Vista). This increases the upgradability of your computer to use newer technology.

I myself prefer AMD, but others prefer Intel. From my experience, AMD's are better for gaming machines.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 14 November 2006 - 07:20 PM.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I'm an AMD fan, so I say that AMD is a mighty fine deal. Not a bad price either for a retail store.

--bmwboy

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
when you say clocks around 1.8GHz, what does that mean?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats its clock speed, your P4 clocks at 2Ghz. Newer Intel chips are really good and will beat AMDs in performance but they are more expensive so that balances that out, but the AMDs trounce the pentiums. X2s are very good as well from AMD the 3800+ have gotten alot cheaper now and they are two 3000+ cpus in one chip.