Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD reads CDs, but can't burn

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I know meremoongirl has a similar problem, but I do not want to hijack her posting.

I have a DVD/CD burner drive and a CD/DVD read only drive. They both read CDs fine, but the burner does not burn. I have NERO Express 6 ver 6.6.1.4

After I choose the files to load onto the CD and I then click on BURN, the tray opens and I'm prompted to put in a CD, even though the CD is already in there. In other words, the burner does not recognize the blank CD.

When I go into the Device Manager and right click on the burner (ATAPI DUAL 4XMax) and check out the Drivers tab I find (in Windows\system32\drivers) cdrom.sys; imapi.sys; InCDRom.sys; incdrm.sys; PxHelp70.sys; redbook.sys and in windows\system: stroprop.dll

I'm running xp home sp2

Help

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try a different brand of writable cd. Also try a different burning utility such as that built into xp, to establish if it's a fault at system level or just a fault with nero.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
pip22,

Sorry for the delay. I tried three brands of CD (Sony, Staples and TDK; I also tried the burner within XP and a freeware titled "Burn4Free" as well as my Nero Xpress. None of the software, regardless of the CD brand recognized the blank CD. All 3 kept asking me to insert a blank CD.

Lastly, I thought that my R/W drive recognized non-blank CDs; it does not. (I have second CD/DVD read-only drive that does recognize CDs and is working OK.)

Thanks

Jim

Edited by jsaklas, 17 November 2006 - 07:09 PM.