Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get Microsoft XP updates to load

• Please log in to reply

mikeygabb

mikeygabb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did reboot and tried the update site but I got the same message I was getting before...that there are files missing.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

mikeygabb

mikeygabb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is there an alternative to that since I don't have the Windows XP CD? I just got a new computer from Dell and aparently now they don't give you all of the software CD's like before. All I received from them was the Microsoft Office CD. I guess when you're system crashes there's a new way of fixing your system w/o using the CD's.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It depends if they gave you recovery CD's or put a recovery partition on, usually, either of those put the computer back to day one condition and you lose any data and any programmes you installed since getting it

Are you likely to be able to borrow a same version XP CD to run it?

mikeygabb

mikeygabb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
There was no recovery CD, just the Microsoft Office CD. I'm not sure if I can get another XP.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, click add and remove, tick show updates, probably best to write the hotfixes down, then cross check them here

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

Try installing any you have not got

If they install, the XP CD isn't so important