Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply

Felade

Felade

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I turned on my PC as per usual, lately my comp or fan or something has been making atrocious sounds .. well the usual kind of sound but it was alot more louder than usual. Its been happening lately especially since i got BF2142. Although that may not be the reason, may be the hot weather lately, dust in my pc (cleaned it out wasnt much as i cleaned it earlier) but yeah just an extra thing i wanted to add. Really loud noise comin from my fan :whistling:.

So anyway usual startup, I think the power supply button at the back which turns the power on and off was halfway to the off side (dont ask why, might of been my chair or something or it hit something ) and while starting up the computer just turns off. I find out that the switch went off =( I think I nudged my pc a bit and it just turned off. So i turn the switch goes back on, and i turn it on no problems - then i get the screen that usually gives u an option to 'Start Windows Normally, Last Good Configuration Known, Safe Mode..' etc. tells you about power failure and everything. So i choose start windows normally and after the loading screen at Windows XP finishes, I am not greeted by my welcoming screen but the usual Monitor message saying 'Cable not connected' (as it usually does when i turn off my PC) and then the pc just restarts! Same process, same error screen to tell me what option. Needless to say of course I tried the others, Last known Configuration, Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking and Safe mode with Command Prompt. All gave me the last result.

Im thinking its maybe a PSU/Motherboard, maybe hardware? Or is there soemthing else i can try o.O. Anyway this just reminds me when you kinda leave a light switch halfway, and move the switch kinda halfway between the on and off places, giving the light a flicking sensation! :blink: PSU Shortcircuited? Im guessing in usual PSU problems sometimes the PC wont even startup at all?? My pc manges to get to the Windows XP Loading screen and not stop in the middle of it.. not enough power to start it all up? ;o

FILL ME IN WITH PC INSIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(missing bf2142 ;p)

P.S - I have specs but probably woudltn help much not detailed.. I remember saving a DXDiagnostic on a BETA App for a game Ill see if i can retreive it.

I can only give simple specs atm:

P4 3ghz
2 Gig Ram
2 x 90Gig HD's
9600XT Radeon

EDIT: Cant get DXDiag.txt soz =( Probably one of those survey things they want to get which get sent to see what specs they shoulda have the final release of games at. but yeah. wtb help its been 20 mins ;P ahhh - ill sleep on it see if i get a reply,

Edited by Felade, 15 November 2006 - 04:33 AM.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Time to reinstall Windows, at least a repair install. Sounds like you just corrupted something in Windows with the quick hdd power off.

Felade

Felade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So it wouldnt be a Hardware prob? And please fill one in on how to do this spectacular task :whistling: Does it require my Windows CD?

Felade

Felade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please just any other reply to give me another idea?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Yes, you would need either the Windows XP CD or System Restore disks that came with the computer.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry to butt in here but I really don't think this sounds like a software/Windows issue. I could be wrong but my money is on a hardware fault of some kind.

Felade, could you clarify a couple of points please?
You made a comment about light switches (halfway between on/off etc) & the effect that produces. Can you explain what symptoms you are getting with thw computer that remind you of this?

Also, are you getting the 'cable not connected', followed by a reboot error every time you try & boot up?

Were you able to identify which fan is the noisy one? (i.e the fan inside the PSU, a case fan or the cpu fan)

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, it's possible that it's hardware related. I was basing the diagnosis on this:

Boot proceeds to the point where Windows prompts with the "Windows did not start up normally" screen, giving the options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
VGA Mode

Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

User has tried all these, and at some point after the Windows logo screen shows (during kernal and driver loading), the monitor loses signal (the cable not connected message), and it restarts.

If this were a driver or software issue, any one of the Safe Mode items would bypass it, as only Windows static drivers and the kernal are loaded, however, they too return a loss of video and a system restart. Generally, that points me toward a fault with Windows.

Anyone check my logic here?

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I had this problem with a bad PSU once, have another power supply to swap out?

--bmwboy

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Add my voice to those who think you should do a windows XP repair. If it is the PSU as the above poster suggests, you won't get far enough into the boot (when booting from CD) to even get to the repair option.

In other words you nothing to lose but time by doing the windows repair.

Felade

Felade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry for late reply, but thanks for the suggestion to repair windows. I did it and its working swll, however the windows repair option was in command prompt so i really had NFI :whistling: So I reinstalled windows completely reformatting it in the process =/. Anyways I guess it was good for me PC is faster now lol

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
There are two options labeled "repair" in the Windows installer, which I think is a stupid design tactic. There's the repair console, which gets you to a command line, and the repair install. Once you go to start a new install, before you choose the drive and partition, if an existing install is detected, the installer will give you a message (approx): "The following installations of Windows have been detected on your system. To attempt to repair, press R." Doesn't always happen, and depends on how much of your install was left after whatever failed took it out.