Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply

Ithandir

Ithandir

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a Windows XP PRO SP2 operating system on my PC. after running a registry defrag and temporary file cleanup with TUNEUP UTILITIES 2006 My PC started doing problems like not running explorer at startup well or not showing any XP theme stuff. I decided a simple way to fix this would be to run a windows XP repair instalation since anything i tried before that didnt help. After running a repair installation using my SP1 XP CD, My windows XP doesn't boot at all. in normal mode it shows the XP logo with the blue running bar, and then acts as if i pressed the 'reset' button and starts all over. The same thing happens in safe mode the PC just acts as if i pushed the reset button. Any idea what I can do to make it boot?

the problem is my computer restarts automatically (i guess thats what it is) and i cant find anything in the event logger. just constant rebooting.

Edited by Ithandir, 15 November 2006 - 07:17 AM.

Advertisements

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
oh this lovely problem.. try to get a boot disc. XP home or Pro doesn't matter, also SP1 or SP2 doesn't matter, run under safe mode. if it doesn't boot with a Boot disc you're going to have to reformat your PC

you need three files from any XP computer, and there are hidden in the main Hard drive's directory. Boot.ini Ntldr and NTdetect.COM, put these on a floppy or CD and your computer will detect it's there.

attached is an image of the files as they should be on the disc. this is little more than a reference picture, and is only there to show the files

Attached Thumbnails

• bootdisc.jpg

Edited by DSMaster, 16 November 2006 - 08:47 AM.