Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

banjomaniac

banjomaniac

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a new used laptop I'm setting up for my son, it is a Dell latitude C810. I put in new memory and 80 gig hard drive. When I put in a new XP disk I get the error cdboot: memory overflow error. I flashed the bios with a floppy from Dell's site but still same error. When it starts the screen says no hard drive and no optical drive detected but they are there. I have also removed the extra drives and had just the cd drive and hard drive, no good. I tried removing hard drive and putting it back just to make sure it was seated good. Any ideas what I should check, maybe a bad board?

banjomaniac

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Try the old memory, to make sure that's not what's causing it?

banjomaniac

banjomaniac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have tried 3 different pieces of memory, I have tried just one piece that came from a working C800 that my daughter has, same result.

banjomaniac

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Did ya try taking out all the memory and putting in the original.

I would also go through the bios(if ya can make it there) and then reset the computer to default settings.

Sorry, I can't offer more advise, I'm not extremely proficient in memory.

rorfrat

rorfrat

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I have a new used laptop I'm setting up for my son, it is a Dell latitude C810. I put in new memory and 80 gig hard drive. When I put in a new XP disk I get the error cdboot: memory overflow error. I flashed the bios with a floppy from Dell's site but still same error. When it starts the screen says no hard drive and no optical drive detected but they are there. I have also removed the extra drives and had just the cd drive and hard drive, no good. I tried removing hard drive and putting it back just to make sure it was seated good. Any ideas what I should check, maybe a bad board?

banjomaniac

I had this problem myself, what I did to resolve it was disable native sata in bios, even though ut is a sata gard drive you can usually find native sata where the boot options or order are.