Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant connect through a wireless router

• Please log in to reply

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
In my house I have 2 computers and an xbox 360 wired to a wireless router (it has 4 wired ports on it as well, made my D-Link). So the wireless function is not being utilized on this router...

Now I just built a PC and installed a linksys pci wireless adapter. I installed the software and everything that came with it (along with the software that came with the router) and All i get is the message in the tray that says no wireless connection available. BUT, I have a Macbook laptop that connects to my wireless internet. I tried typing in the SSID on the new PC, but still it says no available wireless connection.

I have tried 2 different wireless pci cards, with the same end result. All of my other computers have no problems connecting to the internet.

Im using windows xp serviece pack 2 on all computers (except the mac obviously)

I think ive given all pertinent information...if anything else is needed just ask...

Thanks very much in advance for the help

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello dospoy and welcome to G2G,

You left one thing out we need.... What is the Model number of your router?

also

Please follow Posts #3 and 4 of this guide. If afterwards you still cannot connect on your Newly built wireless Desktop then please post back where exactly in the tutorial you encountered problems at.

dospoy

dospoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the fast reply,

I'm at work now, but I'm almost positive the router is a "D-Link WBR-2310 RangeBooster G Router"

I dont mean to be a pain, lol, but I have the wireless router set up, I believe, because I'm able to access it with my laptop. Are there any specific steps of this tutorial I should follow to just set up my desktop? Or should I start from the beginning and set up everything all over again? I don't mind setting up everything again, just curious.

Edited by dospoy, 15 November 2006 - 11:10 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The one major thing to look for if multiple computers can see a wireless network, and one cannot, is a software firewall. Norton, McCaffey, ZoneAlarm, etc?

dospoy

dospoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I'm confused, sorry...

Should I check if the pc that cant find the connection has a firewall on?

The pc thats wired to the router has McAffrey, but if my wireless laptop is able to connect, then i dont think that would be the problem (but what do i know)

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
we will let Kurenai help you on this one.

dospoy

dospoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
So i tried to follow the linked tutorial on setting up the network...but on my new pc for #71...there is no wireless networks tab, did I miss something?

After all of the tutorial, all of my computers, including my wireless laptop, can still connect, but my new pc cannot

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Sorry, space, didn't mean to step on your toes.

The service that runs the wireless networks tab has been disabled by the linksys client software that you've installed. You may either uninstall that linksys software, and get the wireless networks tab, or just use it. It should be under Start -> Program Files -> Linksys, or something similar.

The computer with whom we're concerned about firewalls would be the one that is not detecting any wireless networks within range.

dospoy

dospoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.
After many hours of dissapointment, I returned my router for a different one. I bought the same model, hoping that maybe my previous one was just defective or something. No such luck. I then returned it and bought a linksys router since my PCI card is Lynksys also. Right away upon booting my new computer recognized the network. Wierd...I didn't realize brand names made a difference. Well thank you so much for your time and your help.