Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP hangs when play most of Media Files or DVDs in any Player

• Please log in to reply

lovelywaz

lovelywaz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Windows XP hangs when play most of Media Files or DVDs in any Player

Hi There!

It all started a couple of days back, and I don't remember if I installed any new Multimedia Software Player or Codecs update etc... Below is a little bit detailed description of the problem.

System Details:-
AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5GB RAM
Win XP SP2 + Latest Online Updates
NOD 32 Antivirus, Zone Alarm Firewall, BPS Spyware Remover, Ad-Adware SE

Note:- I have scanned my system multiple times with above softwares but problem is still there.

Problem Detail:-
When ever I run any DVD using Cyberlink Power DVD it plays normaly. When I stop it and close the Player, it simply hangs the windows and I have no other choice than pressing the RESTART key :whistling: the same happens with most of Media Players like VLC Media Player, BSPlayer, Zoom Player etc... when I play video files. I noticed that this doesn't happen with WMV files but only AVI. Also files problem doesn't happen always but only some times on the other hand playing DVD is every time.

I think mainly it has something to do with Intervideo WinDVD Player, which I use sometimes. A couple of days back, I tried to update it and found this error (plz see the below pic) . Since than I have tried to completely remove and reinstall every single Multimedia Software and Codecs but problem is still there. Also now when ever I try to install same old version of WinDVD I still face the same error in the below pic.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance and here is the error pic of WinDVD installation.

Posted Image

Advertisements

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Personally I only use one DVD player. Cyberlink PowerDVD. it's the most stable DVD program I've found. if you increase your paging file about 200 KB it should help as well. even with the ram I have now sometimes windows hangs for me as well. I moved on to Vista because XP was driving me insane. it seems to be an XP problem, but there are ways around it.

2 things though:

1 what's the speed of your prosessor? and 2 when did you last defrag and run a scandisc?

Edited by DSMaster, 15 November 2006 - 12:58 PM.

lovelywaz

lovelywaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
processor speed is 2.08GHz

I have "Diskeeper" installed so it defrags HDD regularly.

I was using same O/S for more than a year but I think its time to format and do a fresh installation again, because after all its WINDOWS! :whistling:

Thanks for reply and waiting for some more suggestions, before I decide to reinstall XP