Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

file association

• Please log in to reply

delta1

delta1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
how do i get ms powerpoint to open when someone sends me e-mail? message comes up to associate the file

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Open My Computer, Tools menu, Folder Options, File Types tab. The list is sorted by extension, so browse to PPT Powerpoint Presentation. When you highlight it, the bottom of that screen will show what program is currently associated (if any). Click Change. A window will open with Windows' best guess for programs to open that particular file type. If Powerpoint is installed on your computer, it should be 1st in the list. If it's installed, but does doesn't show up on the list, you can manually browse to the executable by clicking the Browse button. Navigate to Program Files\Microsoft Office\Officexx\Powerpnt.exe.

If you don't have Powerpoint installed, you can download a free Powerpoint viewer from Microsoft's website. Go to microsoft.com and search for Powerpoint viewer.