Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI Star Cam 370i

• Please log in to reply

BobEight

BobEight

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I recently bought a MSI Starcam webcam for my PC, running with Windows XP. However there were problems and I had the following exchange with their help desk:
===========================================
Hello,

I have installed the driver and attempted to install the hardware. However, when trying to install the hardware I am told this is not possible due as "the data is invalid".

What should I do about this? Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

BobEight
Dear Steven,

Regarding to your concern, would you please try to different USB ports and reinstall these drivers for your device from below link, StarCam 370i .

Best wishes,
MSI Technical Support Team
Hello,

Following the correspondence below, I find that the same message of Data is Invalid still appears. Would you have any further recomendations?

Thanks,

Steve
Dear Steven,

It is always attempting to duplicate your issue, but we are sorry that we haven't the same issues when use starcam 370i. Could you please take the device to other motherboards to have a check?
If it can be used in other computer, you'd better reinstall your operating system to avoid the software conflicts.
If the issue is always followed with your starcam in many computers, please contact your reseller (the place you bought the board from) to RMA.

Best wishes,
MSI Technical Support Team

Now, the camera is OK with a friends computer, but no good with mine. The idea of reinstalling Windows scares me and it was recommended that I ask you good folk.

I would be very grateful for any help, or any easy way out - not least as I will not be able to offer any technical help to anyone due to a bith defect I suffer from (I am too dim).

Thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

It would help to know what computer or motherboard you have please. If you have a big brand name computer (such as Dell, HP etc) then the model name/number will do.
If not, then I will need the motherboard make & model. You can find this information by running everest (download from link below) :

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

When you run Everest, expand the branch called 'Computer' in the left pane of the everest window. You will then see a sub-branch also called 'computer'. Click once on the branch to highlight it. In the right pane you should now see a load of info, including 'Motherboard Name'.
Let me know what it says please

BobEight

BobEight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Welcome to G2G

It would help to know what computer or motherboard you have please. If you have a big brand name computer (such as Dell, HP etc) then the model name/number will do.
If not, then I will need the motherboard make & model. You can find this information by running everest (download from link below) :

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

When you run Everest, expand the branch called 'Computer' in the left pane of the everest window. You will then see a sub-branch also called 'computer'. Click once on the branch to highlight it. In the right pane you should now see a load of info, including 'Motherboard Name'.
Let me know what it says please

Thank you for the full explination.

The motherboard name is JetwayV2MDMP/V4MDM/V4MDMP.

Cheers

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
Thanks for the motherboard info.

I want you try these steps but please follow the directions carefully. If you are in any doubt about what to do at any point, please ask.

1. Go to Start->Run and type regedit & click ok

2. In the left hand pane of regedit, navigate to the following branch :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\

3. Expand the USB branch & you should see a load of other folders. Expand each of these folders in turn & click once on the first sub-folder. When you've selected the correct sub-folder you will see a load of info in the right pane, including an entry called DeviceDesc (See pic below)
Repeat for each folder in the USB section until you find the one which pertains to the webcam. As an example, you can see in the pic below that the entry I selected is for my HP Printer.

4. When you've found the correct one, right click on the top level folder (ie the one with the name that starts with vid_) & from the drop down menu, select Permissions & tick 'Allow' for 'Full Control'

Exit the registry editor & try to install the webcam again

reg3.jpg

BobEight

BobEight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for that.

I had a look at all the subfolders, however I could not find one that seemed to evidently apply to the webcam, nor one where there was permission denied.

Any further ideas? The help is much appreciated.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm
OK, try this then....go back to regedit & navigate to the branch :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI
First, click once on the PCI folder in the left pane, then go to the menu (toolbar) & look for the 'Export' option. (Sorry for being vague but I don't use XP if I can help it!). Click 'Export' & save the selected branch' as PCI.reg
This will create a backup of the PCI folder in case things go horribly wrong!

Next, expand each of the sub-folders in PCI (same as before with the USB one). One or more of them should have the DeviceDesc 'USB Host controller' or very similar. For each of the USB related ones, right click on the parent folder (starts with VEN_...) & check the security permissions for it & set to 'Allow' for Full Control.

Let me know how you get on

BobEight

BobEight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ah, right, this is (I think) of interest.

The PCI folder contains only one file, a reg_sz file. There are no folders within the PCI folder.

Furthermore, I was unable to export the folder, and had the error message:

"The selected branch does not exist. Make sure that the correct path is given."

Is this odd?

Thanks