Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Media Center Hanging up

• Please log in to reply

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a Gateway 610XL that I'm having trouble with. It is getting stuck in a loop of starting up and shutting down. Now when I turn it on it will go to it will go to the screen that let's one choose how windows starts up (safe mode). If I let windows load normally, it will try to load but will restart itself. If I go to safe mode it will start up but hang on agp440.sys I disable agp440.sys and it now hangs on Mup.sys. I'm wondering if I disable Mup.sys am I just getting myself into a loop disabling things. Could this be hardware error? You help is greatly apresheated. :whistling:

Advertisements

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
mup.sys does take a minute or 2 to load. how long did you give it?

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I try to give it all the time it needs but it just restarts itself. :whistling:

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
you should create a boot diskett then, that should be a workaround to that issue, and if it boots then you can fix the problem in safe mode

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
it is not boot in to safe mode. I try to it is just not wanting to play nice.

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
did you try to boot from the diskette, or through the hard drive?

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
diskette

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think the simplest thing would just be to repair the os.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You do have a hardware problem with this computer. After windows loads the agp440.sys file it starts loading the ACPI system files.

What is ACPI?

Users should be aware that ACPI does not improve performance or reliability. If there is a thing that it can improve that thing is called functionality. ACPI is an abstract hardware interface that provides a standard way to integrate power management in a PC system, including hardware, operating system and application software. The advantages of ACPI are obvious, but may not be required for all users. With ACPI functions you can turn peripherals on and off, power-on the system on external activities like the ring of the telephone, etc. Without any doubt it may be a very useful feature, but does it worth?

The reasons why you should use ACPI are multiple, but the most important are:

* ACPI provides a new advanced Plug and Play environment for today computers
* ACPI uses it's own language so it's supported by other operating systems
* ACPI is not Microsoft property :whistling:
* ACPI provides control of Power state
* ACPI use the System Control Interrupt (SCI)
* ACPI should make your life easier because it handles the resources problems
* ACPI should allow you to insert / remove devices in the fly

Now if one of the hardware has died then the computer usually hangs trying to enabling it. It could be almost any hardware on the computer including the mouse, keyboard, among all the rest. You can try turning ACPI off in the bios but you may lose USB and other things until you find the ofending hardware. The lasr computer brought to me with this problem had the motherboard going bad( e-machines T2642).

I will try looking up any answersto questions you find while you continue to try fixing this.

SRX660