Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File saving in Microsoft Excel

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have Office 2003 (with all updates) installed on my compter (running Windoes XP Professional with SP2).

Whenever I save a file in Excel and reopen it, it reopens at the exact location of where I saved it. So, for example, if I saved it while looking deep in the file at Column AV/Row 232, it will open at that location and not at Column A/Row 1. This is how Excel has always saved files, to my knowledge.

However, I work with some really dense people, and they don't realize that when you open the file, you can scroll to the left or up. So I'm always having people calling me and telling me I didn't send them the whole file. Short of always returning to Column A/Row 1 before saving, is there any way I can guaruntee if will open up at Column A/Row 1 no matter where in the file I am when I save it?

This also applies to multiple sheet documents. If I save a file with 3 sheets, for example, and am on the second sheet when I save it, it will reopen in the second sheet and not in the first. Is there an option to have it always open on the first sheet?

Thanks,
Mike.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I haven't been able to find anything to solve either of your questions, unless a macro guru can come up with something. However, CTRL+HOME puts the cursor in A1. That's any easy keystroke before saving. For me, whenever I have multiple worksheets in a workbook, I always rename them something meaningful. This not only makes a lot of sense (to me), but also catches the eye when opening that workbook. I think it may be more a matter of training your users to be aware of columns/rows and worksheet tabs :whistling:

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi diggeryo,

LindaGail is correct, you can do this with a bit of code in VBA.

Simply copy and paste the following code into the Workbook_Open() SubRoutine.

Sheets(1).Select
Range("A1").Select

The only downside to this is that you will recieve the macro warning when opening the workbook, if you don't already.

If you don't know how to perform the above then do the following.
  • Open the Workbook that you wish to have the First WorkSheet with Cell A1 selected when opening.
  • From the Tools menu select Macro then Visual Basic Editor.
  • In the top left hand pane double click on ThisWorkbook and a code box should open in the main part of the window (grey area).
  • Towards the top of that code box click the drop down arrow of the list on the left (where it says (General)) and select Workbook.
  • Some code will show in the box like this.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

End Sub
  • Copy and Paste the following code into the SubRoutine.

Sheets(1).Select
    Range("A1").Select

So that it looks like this.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Sheets(1).Select
    Range("A1").Select

End Sub
  • Close that code box by clicking the X in the top right corner of the code box.
  • From the File menu select Close and Return to Microsoft Excel to exit the VBA Editor.
  • Close the Workbook and Save the changes.
Now when the Workbook is opened, it will open with cell A1 of the first sheet selected.

I hope that this meets with your needs. :whistling:

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thank you both for your advice. The macro worked perfectly.

Also, Oct, thanks for the step by step instructions.

mike.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Happy to be of help. :whistling: