Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

College Major?

• Please log in to reply

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I'm kind of undecided on which major to choose for college :blink: , so I decided to post up a question for you guys.

What majors are u guys striving for, currently have, or job currently employed in that relates to computers?

I'm pretty good with computers, but I'm not sure which one to major in. Currently, I'm thinking about going with computer engineering. Any info would be great..... :whistling:

Have a good one! :help: !

Advertisements

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
Not sure what the course options are like out there. But in ontario we have things like CSYT (Computer Systems Technician) Which is mostly a hardware/networking program, but the first year includes introductory Java programming as well as Web Design.
All in all i would say you need to figure out what part of computers you find most interesting. That will STICK WITH YOU. Personally I love the brain-work in programming. :whistling:

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I really love to trouble shoot the PC and support many people on there computers by helping them out when they have questions.

For me, i think IT is most certainly the way to go. I hate being at a job and not having anything to do. I don't like to sit around at a job ... i know sounds wierd but yea ... IT is a challenge i think nearly 24/7, I like that.

So i will be taking some kind of IT class and most certainly a networking class.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im majoring in chemical engineering w/ environmental studies. Not all that computer involved but we do fortran programing this year and javascript next year as its a much easier way to control and design plants using custom programs than out the box rubbish.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm very interested in IT as well. I'll also be studying technology management, which could eventually make me qualified to be a supervisor or something. I'm also considering getting something in the Computer Emergency Response team (CERT).

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
CERT ? Could you explain more about that ? Sounds like you have similar goals as i do.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Short for Computer Emergency Response Team, US-CERT is an arm of the National Cyber Security Division (NCSD) designed to help protect the nation's Internet infrastructure. You can find more information at: http://www.us-cert.gov/ ... That's just a thought of mine though... I'll probably go into IT or IT security really... Possibly for management.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thanks for all the replies! :blink:

chemical engineering w/ environmental studies

Sounds difficult, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with Computer Engineering because it seems like what I would enjoy doing. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, it is but today we did got to visit a local distillery free booze and all, there is actually a fairly decent bit of programming work involved most chemical plants are computerized and it really takes a chemical engineer to write the programs. So i get my computer skills fix and i get the advantage of studying toward a much better paying professional career than i could ever manage even in twenty years as a computer engineer. I also have a massive area in which i can go after i graduate, including the computer hardware industry especially IBM second biggest group of employees are chemical engineers, and of course chemical engineers are involved in almost every new technology at some stage of its inception or development. Its a great field hard but worth it.

In first year at the end of the first semester they told us: "If you wanted an easier degree you should have applied to medicine, you have to understand why things work they just need to know they do. You make the parts they just plug them in". The last part was probably a reference to the fact that chemical engineers are largely responsible for the development of a great many artificial organs in use and in development, many people have heart valves designed and named after my university.

I have to say i like my choice in degree, i always thought i would be a chemist or a physicist but i think ive found the best of all worlds.

Edited by warriorscot, 20 November 2006 - 06:40 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I am planing on software engineering, been doing quite a bit of coding this year (and even getting paid to do it). So I think I will enjoy it.

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
I'm studying Mechanical Engineering but plan to volunteer for a year after a graduate in May

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I am majoring in General Biology (with emphasis on biomedical studies), and I am minoring in Chemistry. Im doing as a pre-med student.

One thing to keep in mind about your major, look at the schools that interest you, and search through their pool of offered majors, you might get some ideas there. But on the flip side, you might want to look at schools that have great programs in certain majors that you are already interested in.

If you want to do something with computers, by all means go for it, they are definitely the future. There are a lot of things you can do as well, such as programming, graphic design, build/repair etc...It all depends on what you are interested in.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Right now I applied and was accepted into a Computer Science program, but you can change easily. That's what I'm probably going to do (with a focus on Information Systems Management) because I also like business. I used to like programming a lot, but I'm studying Cyber Security for Future Business Leaders of America (a US national club for high school students interested in business) and I like security (although I did C++ last year, placed at state, and liked it), so I'm not sure.

-Vandros-

-Vandros-

• Pip
  • 4 posts
anyone want to drop some names of some colleges with good/great computer science programs. (or anything computer related)

I'm currently in the application phase and I'm a bit clueless on where to go. (T_T next phase, find money T_T)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Are you looking to stay inside your state, or can you travel to another? Which state are you in now?