Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bizarre video problem

• Please log in to reply

Oranjiboom

Oranjiboom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All of a sudden, my laptop won't play videos anymore. Completely out of the blue.
I know it's not a problem with the graphics card or the monitor or hardware because videos on the internet. Videos on youtube play fine. Even flv downloads from Youtube play fun, but only in the flv player format, not once they're converted. So Winamp, Windows Media Player, Realplayer, Divex, WinDVD, every player I have will not play avis, mpegs, won't even play real DVDs in the disk drive. It just comes up with a black screen where the video should be playing (the audio does play meanwhile), not even any errors. And even more weird, the thumbnails are still displayed when looking at the file, so it's as if the system can read what's on the video, make the thumbnail.. but not play it. Which made me think it wasn't a problem with codecs, since it wasn't giving any errors either, and since it was affecting EVERY player and every final format. A few days before everything was working fine.
But just in case, I uninstalled all the codecs and reinstalled several packs of codecs. Still the same situation.
Ran AVG Anti Virus, Spyware Search & Destroy and Lavasoft, nothing infected.
What could it be? How to fix it?
Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
There was a chipset/graphics driver compatibility issue that caused this recently, it's solved by updating to the latest chipset drivers available at the chipset manufacturer's website. I haven't ever heard of it happening to a laptop, though.

Does the same issue happen in VLC Player (www.videolan.org/vlc)

Oranjiboom

Oranjiboom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well this is going to sound most newbish, but how do I find out what chipset drivers I have now and where could I update them from?

I downloaded the VLC player and it installed fine, but it won't play any of my avis. It says they're broken, and when it tries to fix them, it seems to succeed, but then it just does what all the other players are doing - plays the sound, black screen for the video. I can't see how all my avi files could break all of a sudden, and it can't be something that happened one particular time because new avis, mpegs etc. won't play either and nor will dvds...

Edited by Oranjiboom, 16 November 2006 - 11:07 AM.