Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

start up delay windows xp sp1

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,
I am using windows xp sp1. my problem is after i enter my password windows start loading ....it loads my wireless network and then basically just does not do anything for 30-45 seconds and then it loads all start up programs (i.e. mcafee firewall, anitivirus and spyware software). any idea why???....it didn't use to be this way....anything i can do to prevent this delay???

thank you

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Disk could be heavily fragmented so takes Windows longer to find all the bits and pieces that are needed for startup. Try running Disk Defragmenter.

Another possibility is a disk error which Windows can rectify but it's an 'on demand' process which you need to start manually. I recommend you do this first then defragment afterwards. To check for and repair errors, do this:
1 In My Computer, right-click on the C drive icon.
2. Select 'properties'.
3. Click 'Tools' tab.
4. Click 'Check Now'
5. Check both check-boxes and click 'Start'
6. A message will pop-up, just click 'Yes' and the error-check will run when you next reboot. Whwn that's done and Windows re-loads, run the Defragmenter.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
thanks for replying. i just did the defragmenter before i saw your reply. i also ran the disk clean up. but still no change...

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
any other ideas ???? please help...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Uninstall everything related to McAfee (firewall, AV and Anti-spyware), and I guarantee that your computer will boot up just fine. After they are uninstalled and you have rebooted your computer, then go to google and search for "download AVG Free" and "download Microsoft Antispyware". Both of these programs are free and work perfectly. Those are the only two programs I have installed on my machine. If you really need a software firewall program, you can google for either "sygate" or "zone alarm free".

Fenor

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
thanks for all your help...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Think I'm joking about uninstalling McAfee???

I'm not. Both McAfee Security Center and Norton Internet Security/System Works are complete resource hogs which will extremely bog down and sometimes cripple computer systems.

If you don't want to believe me that's fine, but I'm not one of the staff members on this forum because I give out false information or information that doesn't help people.

The call is ultimately yours though...

Fenor

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hey,

i think you got the wrong idea. i didnt say that because i did not belive you. i really said thank you for all your help...i did uninstall mcafee and then it improved dramatically. so im really saying thank you for your help...you guys always help me out.

eliran

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear your computer is working better now! :whistling:

It was the three dots (...) that kinda made your comment seem sarcastic.

Fenor