Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power off problem

• Please log in to reply

vzwrep

vzwrep

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please help, my pc will not power off unless I hold down the soft power button for 4 seconds. If I go to shut down thru windows it just reboots, also having issue with getting boot in windows, PC also for a split second displays zcom_ad on shut down. Not sure if that is proper error or not displays very quick. Lastly I would like to know how to make a donation to your sight.

Advertisements

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
What I would recommend is to run SFC /scannow. IT is supposed to fix any file errors in important files. Shutdown would qualify as important. (Start > Run > sfc /scannow) when this finishes it should be ok, but I would run a disc check to make double sure. (right-click your main hard drive (the one Windows runs from) click properties > tools > "check now") check off both options and reboot. this will take 20 - 40 minutes, depending onthe space of your hard drive. after that it should work fine

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on your desktop and choose properties ,then choose the screensavers tab, and choose power what does it say for "when i press the power button on my pc"?

in your thread in the waiting room ( http://www.geekstogo...OS-t140184.html ) you mentioned not being able to boot into safe mode?

Also system will not boot in SAFE MODE any more. Comes to a DOS like screen with a bunch of command lines but then hangs.

what is the last thing that shows up when it hangs when booting into safe mode?

any info on the error that happens when you choose shutdown would be great too

vzwrep

vzwrep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It says shut down, upon regular shut down I get an error noise and it flashes something like zd_com or z com _ad.. I cannot see it it flashes so quick. I will try to boot in safe mode and see what last command string is and post another reply for that

Thank you [font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]