Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

We Geek together We Work Together

• Please log in to reply

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
this is going to sound weird but i'm presently lacking motivation to work on my current projects and i am looking for something to fill my free time with. I have extensive expeirience with flash, php, javascript and CSS design. I have a full version (yes it's legit) of macromedia studio 2004.

I want a project that i am not in charge of so muhc as one i can contribute to. If you have an idea or soemting already in the works post your proposal here and i'll check it out. preferably web based project that i will at a later time be able to show my contributions in my portfolio.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Interested in Firefox extensions, most of it is JavaScript :whistling:

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
I recommend helping out an Open Source project. I am not aware of too many PHP open source projects, but a few that come to mind are phpBB and SquirellMail. I am sure that there are many more as well, and with your knowledge I'm sure you could help out.

However, if you are really "lacking motivation" and want to broaden your experience, I recommend learning a language such as Python, Perl, or C++. Once you get the hang of one of these languages, you can contribute to one of the many many many open source software projects. Just check out SourceForge.

- Matt :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have a project you could even make a few bucks on. vBulletin has a nice VBSEO mod available for it. In addition to rewriting the URLs, it also creates dynamic meta tags for title and description. Invision really needs something comparable.

For instance, with Invision, you can create a dynamic title using <meta name="keywords" content="<% TITLE %>" />

However, the problem is the title isn't broken into key words. For example this title would be "We Geek together We Work Together - Geeks to Go!" when it should be "we, geek, together, work".

Next is a dynamic meta description. Ideally the first 255 characters of a description should be copied to a dynamic description field. Invision offers no way to do this. I've played around some creating a macro in class_display.php, but I'm not a coder, and it should also have any special characters stripped.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have a project that I started about a year ago and its become a very useful thing that I would like to expand.

Mags with your Flash experience we could make it look really nice.

mpfeif101 with our combined php experience we should to be able to make it a bit more functional.

thenotch with your extensive css experience we can make it compliant and give it the ability to be "themed" or at least easily changed to fit other websites.

Think you might be interested in this sekrit project? PM me :whistling:

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
hmm a couple that interest me, admin has one that sounds like a good time, as does ScHwErV. Not going to commit tonight to anything. but i will sleep on it. :whistling: