Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Umax 1220 Scanner

• Please log in to reply

poipoipoi44

poipoipoi44

• Pip
  • 6 posts
when I start up my pc it tells me that it found new hardware and wants to install it. The hardware is Umax 1220 scanner. I have a HP Scanner that works fine and also an HP printer/fax/copier/scanner that also works fine but no Umax 1220. Why is this happening. Please help me understand this. Thanks guys

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Did you buy the pc new or used? Did you ever install a umax scanner on it?

I would go into Device Manager and see if the Umax scanner shows up in there.

start>settings>control panel>system>hardware>device manager

try clicking on 'view' and then 'show hidden devices'.

Does the umax scanner show up in Device Manager?

poipoipoi44

poipoipoi44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes it does. It showed up as a problem so I disabled it and now it trys to install it every time I start up. This strikes me funy because I dont have one to install. Its very frustrating.
Ron

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Hey Ron.....you said that you disabled it. Right click on it and select uninstall and reboot. If that's what you did, try it in safe mode. More than one umax scanner may show up in safe mode. Uninstall all of them.....

edit....to get into safe mode, keep pressing F8 as the pc boots up. You should see a menu with a safe mode option....

Edited by macten, 17 November 2006 - 09:58 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
go to add/remove programs:

start>settings>control panel>add/remove programs

if you see any drivers/software installed for Umax scanners, go ahead and uninstall them....

also in control panel, double click on scanners/cameras. Does the umax scanner show up there? If it does, try and uninstall it from there. I've never tried it from there but I see a 'remove' button, so it's worth a try.....