Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Power issues...

• Please log in to reply

Eclypse

Eclypse

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

I do some slight IT work for the office I work at and Ive never run into a problem like the one im having now.

Issue: The PC in question will cut on...then cut off sporatically.

Solutions: Ive check all the wiring, made sure they were secure, ive switched power supplies, ive done most everything that I can think of that deals with power issues. And much to my chagrin none of it seems to work......any ideas?

Thanks for any help!
Eclypse "the cofused one"

Advertisements

Eclypse

Eclypse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok so Ive done some researching and some googlin and the only answers Ive got so far is that it could be a short somewhere, a memory issue somewhere <though I cant see how this would be the problem b/c it sometimes reboots even before Win2000 has started to boot up>, among other ideas....

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
You say you changed power supplies?

I presume you mean you changed the mains socket the computer was plugged into?

Maybe the problem is with the PSU, Power Supply Unit within the PC itself?

Check it is firmly plugged into the motherboard.

Yes a short could be the answer, and yes - faulty or ill-fitted memory can also cause these kind of probs.

Try booting with different memory modules fitted, i.e. take some out - assuming you have more than one! Slot one must generally be filled, even if the others are empty.

Have you changed any BIOS settings - perhaps you have enabled a feature in BIOS not supported by your motherboard?

Just a few suggestions :tazz:

daveB - LinuxWannabee

Eclypse

Eclypse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You say you changed power supplies?

I presume you mean you changed the mains socket the computer was plugged into?

Maybe the problem is with the PSU, Power Supply Unit within the PC itself?

Check it is firmly plugged into the motherboard.

Yes a short could be the answer, and yes - faulty or ill-fitted memory can also cause these kind of probs.

Try booting with different memory modules fitted, i.e. take some out - assuming you have more than one! Slot one must generally be filled, even if the others are empty.

Have you changed any BIOS settings - perhaps you have enabled a feature in BIOS not supported by your motherboard?

Just a few suggestions :tazz:

daveB - LinuxWannabee

View Post

Yeah Ive already tried swapping the PSU, that wasnt the problem....I'll try the swapping the Memory out and see fi that helps...other than that Im afraid we'll probablyjust have to buy a new mobo and considering these are crappy machines anyways it'll probably be optimal just to put a new one together.

Thanks for the response Dave!
E.