Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with Dell 5.1 Surround Sound

• Please log in to reply

JK27

JK27

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
I just got a brand new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound System. I plugged it into my Gateway GT5064 which has all of the audio ports on the back. I plugged in the black to black, green to green, and yellow to yellow, but am not getting sound from the rear speakers (or center I think). I went into control panel to audio devices and made sure it was set to 5.1, still does not fix the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

ps: From the looks of it, my Gateway has:

8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and one S/PDIF optical digital audio output using the Sigmatel® 9220 audio codec

if this helps.

Edited by JK27, 16 November 2006 - 07:21 PM.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well I personally would get a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI because it has THX.

But if you don't want to spend about $100 on a sound card then I would fiddle with the audio properties some more. I'm sorry I don't hae much experience with newer gateway systems, but I have realtek audio driver on my computer and it lets me manually adjust the ports for the audio output.

I doubt audio devices has much to do with your setup, you should look through your control panel again because you may have something that has to do with your audio. Mine is Sound Effect Manager which allows me to change my audio.

You could also check gateway.com and see if they have any audio drivers for download there that could help ya out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on this issue. Most audio solutions are different with every brand of computer, I built my own so I didn't have to worry about downloading my drivers from companies. :whistling:

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok, i re-checked the connections. My 5.1 Dell Speakers have Black, Green, and Yellow audio plugs, but my Gateway has audio ports that are Pink, Green, Blue, Peach, and Black, but no yellow. Any ideas? The speakers also came with an adapter that connects the black, yellow, and green from the speakers to only the green on the PC. Will this work? And will it reduce the quality of the sound?