Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update

• Please log in to reply

crustygloves

crustygloves

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
So my mom wanted to update our microsoft office, so she (I don't care what your mother does, do not call her names! Johanna) doesn't listen to my advice and she re-installs our XP, deleting all the updates and such. I can't get access to the windows update site though, my media player wont work, my computer has slowed down, and everything on my task bar just zooms to the far right. Before my mom got a hold of my computer, it was running fine, it is not due to viruses or spyware. Can anyone help me get the updates required?

Attached Thumbnails

• 000taskbar.JPG

Edited by Johanna, 17 November 2006 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you click this link

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

crustygloves

crustygloves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i got my friend to send me that exact link and everything is working fine now. I guess my browser was just being stubborn. Everything except my task bar is working fine, everything is still smushed into the bottom right corner and its a pain:(

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click properties, then either remove the tick for hide inactive icons, or click customise then click hide when inactive for the ones you want to show, select always show

If you also click the arrow on the taskbar then it should show the hidden icons

crustygloves

crustygloves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
theres a bit of a mis-communication, i like those hidden, but i can only use 1/10th of my taskbar, everthing is shoved to the far right and i can't get the applications to spread out along it

Attached Thumbnails

• 0000task.JPG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, untick lock the taskbar, you then get upright dots which you can move. it may be the rows are too close together, tick lock the taskbar when you have adjusted it

crustygloves

crustygloves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ah thank you very much, i've never known what that did or even think to try it:)

issue resolved

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know