Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

saving mails

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Frnds, Is there a macro...what i am looking for is that when I open a mail in outlook ..and when i run a macro it saves it as a text file on the desktop......plz helpthanks frnds

Advertisements

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
802072 Hi hun, and welcome to Comments and Suggestions !

I'm not sure what a (macro) is...

I know when I go to save a file from my mail box, it asks me how I want to save it and where?

I doubt that this helped, but I PROMISE that someone will be here to help you out better...

I have moved this post to (Windows 95,98,ME) So you will get the help that is needed there...

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This might still be more appropriate for the Microsoft Office forum.

Well. Here's my take on it. Outlook does not support Macros quite the same as other office programs do, ie, you can record a set of steps and give it a shortcut key.

You can write one in Visual Basic for Applications, however, which is not difficult to learn, but you cannot record one like you can in Word or Excel.

It is a shame, since Word and Excel Macro recording give you a great insight on how to write VBA subroutines. (they often put in way too much code, but they are a valuable learning tool.

That's about all I can offer, unfortunately---while I am quite competent in Excel Programming, I've never had the need to do any VBA Outllook programming.

The process shouldn't be too complicated. You would need to determine the how to monitor what is happening--I suspect an Open Event---and have that call a Save subroutine. The triky part would be how to name the file. I am not familiar enough with Outlook to extract the subject (perhaps) from the message body and use that as the name...it might be easier to go with user input (message box would automatically pop up).....