Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Solved - New browsers crashing my router

• Please log in to reply

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have a DLink DI 704P router, revision A.

It uses the typical web based interphase for administration.

I have just upgraded to IE 7 and Firefox 2.0, and now when I enter the IP of my router to use the interphase, and attempt to log in, in either browser, it actually crashes my router. I get the home page and enter my password, and click login, and the router crashes. None of the computers can surf, etc... until I physically reboot by power cycling.

I have 2 computers I have not upgraded the browsers on and both can use the router fine using IE 6.

Searching DLink for the latest firmware proved pointless (Canadian & US site anyway). The firmware downloads for this router are nowhere to be found. Even their FTP site has the subfolder for firmware for this router but no files reside in it.

Any ideas as to a something I could do to be able to access this router in the newer browsers? I need to upgrade them on all my PCs soon.

Solved - Turns out it was a problem with Avast anti-virus. This same program also prevented me from sending (but not receiving) email even with the email module turned off. It prevented me from being able to log into my smtp server via SSL. I am not sure how Avast interacts with the networking and I am sure its a fine program and works great for most people, but on my otherwise stable PC it caused to many problems for me to recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Serrik, 17 November 2006 - 03:28 PM.

Advertisements