Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bois

• Please log in to reply

befgbgn

befgbgn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all!!

I have put a new motherboard and hard drive in my desktop and it does not boot.....I get 3 beeps.
What does that mean? My power button does not work, but the reset button does. The power led on
the tower had a 3 head and the motherborad only had 2 pins, so I changed it colour wire to colour and white to white. Could this be the problem?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
since you didn't give much info (make and model of the board would be nice)...i can only make assumptions here...

first...for the power button...are you sure you hoooked up the front panel buttons correctly on the header on the board? double check that with the manual

second....for the no boot
does it not boot into windows...or do you never get to the post screen?
video card info would be nice here...
take EVERYTHING off the board except for the processor, a single stick of ram, and your video card...now try to boot
anything change?
take that ram out and put another stick in it's place and boot
anything change?
continue this with all your ram

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you know what your bios is you can go here for the beep codes.

http://bioscentral.com/

SRX660

befgbgn

befgbgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My motherboard is a Intel D850EMV2, and it does not boot at all. My monitor gets no signal. It just beeps 3 times and then nothing. I have turned the system on with just the processor and rams and till just gets 3 beeps. I did go to the site and found that it would have to be the rams. Can new rams be fauilty? If this is the case, I will have to purchase new rams. In another case it could be the real time clock....then I will have to just change the battery. Maybe the battery is dead. I do have a few batteries around here. I will try that and see.
Thanks everyone