Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade Advice Please

• Please log in to reply

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey people

Just a quick question regarding upgrading RAM on my Acer Travelmate 2410.

I currently have to slots for RAM cards - one of which is taken by a 248MB card, the other is empty. The type of RAM I need is "SDRAM-DDR2" if that means anything. I've tried to upgrade to 1GB memory, and have bought 2 cards both of which I have been told are 100% compatible with my laptop. After popping the card into the spare slot and switching back on, I get a blank screen and the PC doesn't boot up. I then remove the card (so the original 248 is there) and it boots up fine.

My laptop takes up to 2GB RAM - do I need to remove the original card before I install the new one? Or should it work with both cards installed? If I remove the original card and pop the new one in and it still doesn't work, can I just pop the original card back in, or will removing it and having effectively NO RAM for a few seconds cause any problems?

Any advice gratefully received as I have no idea what to do and the low 248 RAM is driving me crazy!!
Thankyou
Adam

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Having no ram installed in your laptop for a period of time will not hurt it but you should be sure the power is off when you do this :whistling: If you want to be super careful, remove the laptop battery and unplug the laptop while swapping memory around. Its a precaution I would take if it was me.

You can safely remove all the ram to try the new ram, no problem.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the advice. I always remove the battery and power supply before doing anything. Apart from compatibility (which was guaranteed) what other reasons could there be for this new memory card not working do you think? I was very careful not to damage the card in any way...

Cheers

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Have you tried each of the new sticks alone, and both of the new sticks paired? In other words, have you tried every possible configuration?

If so, and your computer still won't boot it sounds to me like your guaranteed compatible ram is not compatible. Take them up on their guarantee. Bring your Laptop to them and show them it works with your old ram but not your new ram.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, no I haven't tried the new one on it's own, I wasn't sure of the risks involved having no RAM installed for a few seconds. I'll try the new one alone and see what happens. I'll post back regardless of the outcome.
Thanks for your help
Adam

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
From what I can see, that model takes DDR2-533, as opposed to faster types of DDR2 soDIMMs. Make sure someone didn't sell you something like DDR2-800, which probably wouldn't work.

On a side note, it's really hard to track down exactly what speed of memory is compatible with Acer laptops.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I believe it is 533 but I'll double check.
Thanks! :whistling:

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
If you end up returning what you bought, consider Kingston memory. I have used them for years and special ordered for many ACER laptops, and IBMs and etc... and never had a compatibility problem.

Here is a link to their models for your laptop.

http://www.ec.kingst...;submit1=Search

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
For my laptop I only use Kingston also and I have been very pleased with them.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks, I'll be looking for Kingston memory should this not work...thanks for your recommendation!
My memory cards are at home and I am not so I won't know for another day or two what the results are!
Thanks again
Adam

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Am I looking in the right place here?
http://www.orcalogic...r...p;ft=s&st=1
The website you showed me is Canadian so I want to look for UK sources, but the site's laid out slightly differently - which confuses me easily!

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
You need to look at the kingston part numbers.

In this case

512MB = KACMEME/512
1GB = KACMEME/1G

Use this link: http://www.orcalogic...onfigurator.asp

Manufacturer: pick Acer
System Type: pick notebook
Hit "Find"
Select Acer Travelmate 2410 series from the list and you will have what you need.