Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Soundcard

• Please log in to reply

Lucababy

Lucababy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My soundcard is broken in guessing from a recent powercut and annoying brats not propally shuting down the computer... anyway

How do I update my soundcard (hopefully fixing it?)

Is there anyhope?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
We need some additional information:

1. Operating System (if XP, Home or Pro)
2. Do you have any sound at all?
3. Does the sound card have a yellow ? or red ! over it in Device Manager (right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager)
4. What is the sound card manufacturer and model?

Lucababy

Lucababy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
XP Home

Yes I do have a sound card

Dont know

Dont know

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Question #2 - do you hear anything out of any program? Is there any kind of sound, or is your computer totally quiet?

Question #3 - Did you look in Device Manager?

On to testing:

Go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices. The first tab is Volume. Confirm that "Mute" is not checked and that the Device Volume slider is toward "High".

The second tab is Sounds. Half way down is a list of "Program Events". Highlight one. The bottom drop-down is the actual sound that should play. If it says "none", open the drop-down and choose a sound file. Then hit the play button just to the right of the drop-down. Did you hear anything?

Lucababy

Lucababy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No my computer is complete quite, speakers connected properly, doesnt play anysound what so ever... im pretty possitive its the soundcard...

I did go into device manager but didnt get what i was looking for...

Mmm what now??
Thanks

dippyderby

dippyderby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there. I recently installed xp and now have no sound. I dont have the disks so cant do that. I know i have an MS - 6382 motherboard and a MPU-401 sound card. I've done all the normal checks but nothing.

Any idea how to help or somewhere i can downlod the drivers?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Confirm that the speakers are powered on. Also confirm that they are plugged into the correct jack in the back of the computer. Then, go back to Control Panel, Sounds... and do that test.

Also, please look in Device Manager under the Sound, Video, and Game Controller category. Please list the items that have something to do with "audio". Do any of the items have a yellow or red icon over them?

dippyderby

dippyderby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there.

List of things under audio but none of them have the yellow or red flags

Audio Codecs
Legacy audio Drivers
Legacy video capture devices
Media Control devices
MPU401 compatible MIDI device
Standard game port
video codecs

Edited by dippyderby, 17 November 2006 - 04:45 PM.

Lucababy

Lucababy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No none of mine have red or yellow on the icons... but when I try play media for example in media player a message pops up saying

'Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.'

Help please!

Thanks

dippyderby

dippyderby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah i get the same

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
dippyderby, i see you're a new member, i suggest you read the board rules, please start you're own topic and don't post you're problems in others topic even if it's the "same" problem, thanks.

-OCM770-

P.S. Welcome to Geeks To Go!