Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card compatibility

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,
Can someone explain to me about video card compatibility to motherboards. I have an Asus motherboard, AMD processor, and ATI chipset. I know that my motherboard takes a PCI-E slot video card, but what does this mean exactly. Does this mean that I can install any PCI-E video card on my system (from any manufacturer), or am I limited to an ATI video card because of my chipset?

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
You can use any PCI-E card from any manufacturer you want so long as your computer meets the minimum specs for the card you buy.

You should not be limited to ATI, etc... but read below

Things you should check that immediately come to mind

-Check your motherboard manual to see if your PCI-E slot is a 16x or an 8x, alot of higher end cards require 16x

-Check your power supply, there should be a chart showing the amp amp value along the +12v rail. Many upper end video cards have a minimum value of 20 amps or more!! People buy a card then get really angry when they have to upgrade to a new power supply. So know up front, before your buy, if your power supply is up to the job

-If your mother board features include Crossfire then stick to ATI cards in case you want to dual them up later. If your mother board features say SLI then stick to Nvidia based cards in case you want to pair them up later. Most motherboards do not have either of these features. If you do have one or the other, be sure the card you buy is "Crossfire" or "SLI" capable, in case you want to dual them up later.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
As an addendum...I've seen a lot of issues with high end nvidia cards in ATI chipset motherboards. ATI made approximately one chipset, and as chipsets go, it wasn't very good. I tend to recommend that anyone with an ATI chipset board go with an ATI video card, just to avoid any possible issues in the future.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well, I have learned something new today! Thanks for that tip.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We havent seen any problems with ATI chipsets and Nvidia cards directly relates to the motherboard chipset on the boards and ive not read of any in reviews of the boards. ATI also made more than one chipset although only one or two sell well.