Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dire Help Needed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Portis403

Portis403

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
ALL OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED
hey all i am in some dire need of help right now

i just got a new pc game, medieval 2 and i wanted to play it

i have 2 computers in my house, an hp pavillion zv5000 with 512 ram and plenty of memory and an older desktop with the same amount of ram and a good amount of memory left

so i go and try to play the game on my laptop first and i install it and though i thought i met all the requirements, it says pixel shader 1.1 is needed to play this game. From what i have researched pixel shader 1.1 seems very old and i shoudl have it considering i got this computer in early 2005 and i am easily able to play the sims 2 and rome total war and zoo tycoon 2 great on this computer and i would think those games would require pixel shader 1.1, but maybe not? if they do, (i dont know where to look as i am not very good with computers) what could have happened to it, and if those other games didnt need pixel shader 1.1, then why wouldnt i have it and how may i get it, would an upgrade do it or would i have to buy a new videocard?
my current videocard for this computer is a Nvidia Geforce4 420 go 32m
so is there any way i can get medieval 2to run on that ?

so then i tried my desktop, and i seem to be getting very unlucky as my reliable dell desktop suddenly stop reading all dvd's or games, as they are not under my computer and any of the drives, as they all come up empty, but when i put a MUsic cd into those, it reads it fine. Could i have maybe turned off an option somewhere stopping it from reading ALL dvd's and games i put in there or did something happen to it, and any idead on how to fiz it would be greatly appreciatted

overall, any advice for either or these 2 topics would be GREATLY APPRECIATED AND I AM EXTREMELY SORRY SO SUCH A LONG POST, I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I PUT IN ALL THE DETAILS
any advice at all is greatly aprecciated thanks a ton

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Did some research

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP
Processor: Celeron 1.5GHz Pentium 4® (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD® processor.
Memory: 512MB RAM
Optical Drive: 8x Speed DVD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
Disk Space: 11GB of uncompressed free hard disk space
Sound Card: 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
Input Devices: 100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
DirectX: DirectX® 9.0c
Graphics Card: 128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 supportand the latest drivers. Must be 100%DirectX® 9.0c compatible.
Display Resolution: 1024 x 768
Multiplayer: Internet (TCP / IP) play supported; Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers; LAN play requires Network card.

You need at least a 128MB Video Card. I recommend GeForce 7600GS 512MB. And also, Try to upgrade more Memory for your computer.

Portis403

Portis403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok WOW THANKOU SOO MUCH

but some1 earlier today told me that my like videocard was like attached to my motherboard or something so i would have to get like a whole new motherboard

do u know about that, or can i just get a new videocard for this laptop

Edited by Portis403, 17 November 2006 - 05:44 PM.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
You cant upgrade video card on laptop. If you have a desktop computer, then you can upgrade your video card.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it would cost the same amount as your laptop to change motherboard on laptop.

Edited by HPDV8315LOVER, 17 November 2006 - 06:04 PM.

Portis403

Portis403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
wow um ok, so do i have any options to get this game to play on my laptop, ANY AT ALL

here are some specs in case it will help

System Security Status
CIS Benchmark Score
Unknown
Available only for Windows 2000, XP Pro, and 2003

Virus Protection
OK
Up-to-date

Microsoft Security Updates
Alert!
4 missing

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Alex-6a521af4f7 (in MSHOME)
Profile Date: Friday, November 17, 2006 7:31:52 PM
Advisor Version: 7.2a
Windows Logon: Alex

Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small companies.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Hewlett-Packard Pavilion zv5200 (PL996UA#ABA) F.35
System Serial Number: CND4431SLV
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Compal 08A0 32.42
Serial Number: CND4431SLV
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.35 04/28/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
60.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N [CD-ROM drive]

TOSHIBA MK8025GAS [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n X4FM4599T, rev KA024A, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'S1' has 256 MB
Slot 'S2' has 256 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 60.23 GB free
Network Drives
None detected

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Afraid it wont play you dont meet the specs, you also only have 512mb of memory which is pushing the minimum most games need a gig to run properly.

Portis403

Portis403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yes i know but is there any way i can update it to get it to play??? like can i get a new videocard???????????

Portis403

Portis403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yes i know but is there any way i can update it to get it to play??? like can i get a new videocard???????????

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
If you have a crappy video card on your laptop, you're SOL. You cant upgrade video card on laptop. You gonna have to buy a better laptop.

BTW, I see that you double post.

Edited by HPDV8315LOVER, 17 November 2006 - 10:49 PM.

Portis403

Portis403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i dont know if this will help but i was just looking under the properties displayy settings and i discovered i have 2 different display options and i dont know why, one is the default monitor and one is a multiple monitor and it is set on multiple. Every time i try to change it back to defualt it always autommatically goes back to multiple next time i check

HOW CAN I GET it to stay on the default monitor??

EDIT it says i can uninstall my videocard, should i do it and then would i be able to buy a new one for my laptop?

Edited by Portis403, 18 November 2006 - 09:19 AM.

Advertisements

Portis403

Portis403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i just removed the videocard sucessfully pretty easily, now can i just buy a new one and install that one

i guess it likke wasnt attatched to my motherboard as it is gone and is not displayed anyhwere including dxdiag

so i can now install a new one now right

any suggestions
and is ther any place i can get it for free, like limewire or anything?

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
P2P software is illegal in the United State. Geekstogo does not support P2P.

And how can you remove a video card from a laptop? That's so impossible.

Portis403

Portis403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
AHAHAHAH cant remove it
ur such a NOOBBBB
of course u can, just go to uninstall and itsgone, i went to dxdiag and its n ot displayed there any more and my graphics suck and there is NONE so ha NOOB so which new onedo u recommend?

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Sorry kiddo, but You cant play your game on your laptop. A video card is a video card. No matter what driver you using. :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

AHAHAHAH cant remove it
ur such a NOOBBBB
of course u can, just go to uninstall and itsgone, i went to dxdiag and its n ot displayed there any more and my graphics suck and there is NONE so ha NOOB so which new onedo u recommend?

There is no need to be a rude kid.

You cannot upgrade a laptops video card if it doesnt have an expansion slot. Your laptop if it has integrated graphics which it does then you cannot put another new video card in it because there is nowhere for it to go.. There is no slot for a new video card on a laptop that has integrated graphics.. They dont put an expansion slot at all for a video card if the laptop comes from the factory with INTEGRATED. Integrated means its physically connected and soldered onto the motherboard itself, you cannot take it off.

If you uninstall the video card in windows its still physically installed on the motherboard... Laptops are different than desktops the manufacturer doesnt put a video card slot for a reason because a laptop has so small of room inside of the laptop case. Its not like a desktop to where you can put how big of a video card you want to. The Laptops specifically designed for a non integrated video card are called Gaming Laptops.