Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer with a number of quirks

• Please log in to reply

ydm

ydm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a fairly new computer -- Gateway DX310X desktop -- Windows XP SP2

I have experienced a variety of quirky problems since day 1.

I'm wondering if these might be related and some sort of system overhaul might work, or if each problem is unrelated:

1. Occasionally when I start up the computer for the day, the keyboard does not work (can't input any commands or info; num lock light is not on). Restarting clears it up. It has a ps2 connection.

2. More often, when the computer resumes from standby, the keyboard will not work. Again restarting clears it up.

3. Occasionally when I start up or when resuming from standby, 2 separate parallel screens come up on my monitor. Restarting usually clears it up, sometimes I get the same result twice in a row and have to restart again. Unhooking the connection from the computer to the monitor and reconnecting clears it up.
I reported this to Gateway and they replaced the monitor but that made no difference.

4. In several of my applications the help files are not accessible. This was for sure true of the accessories MS Paint and solitaire. I was able to uninstall and reinstall those and that fixed the problem.
The help file is not accessible on the volume control/master control window. I don't know how to uninstall this one. What happens is I click on Help menu and select Help Contents. The hour glass comes up for a second or two and then disappears and nothing else happens.
I have no idea how many other programs I'll run into this with.

5. Initially, the microphone would not register. I could not record sound nor be heard on Internat chat. I have uninstalled and reinstalled those drivers and have it working, but not at the high level it works on my old laptop.

So that's a number of pesky issues and I wonder if there's a systemic fix or I need to try to deal with each individually.

If anyone has any ideas, I really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Deb

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Really dumb question but have you checked to make sure your keyboard cable is nice and snug? And have you/can you try a different keyboard with your computer? Maybe borrow a buddy's for a night?

Also, in the BIOS, it may ask you to specify your keyboard type as PS2 or USB. Be sure its set to PS2. Not all computers have this setting but its worth checking.