I have experienced a variety of quirky problems since day 1.
I'm wondering if these might be related and some sort of system overhaul might work, or if each problem is unrelated:
1. Occasionally when I start up the computer for the day, the keyboard does not work (can't input any commands or info; num lock light is not on). Restarting clears it up. It has a ps2 connection.
2. More often, when the computer resumes from standby, the keyboard will not work. Again restarting clears it up.
3. Occasionally when I start up or when resuming from standby, 2 separate parallel screens come up on my monitor. Restarting usually clears it up, sometimes I get the same result twice in a row and have to restart again. Unhooking the connection from the computer to the monitor and reconnecting clears it up.
I reported this to Gateway and they replaced the monitor but that made no difference.
4. In several of my applications the help files are not accessible. This was for sure true of the accessories MS Paint and solitaire. I was able to uninstall and reinstall those and that fixed the problem.
The help file is not accessible on the volume control/master control window. I don't know how to uninstall this one. What happens is I click on Help menu and select Help Contents. The hour glass comes up for a second or two and then disappears and nothing else happens.
I have no idea how many other programs I'll run into this with.
5. Initially, the microphone would not register. I could not record sound nor be heard on Internat chat. I have uninstalled and reinstalled those drivers and have it working, but not at the high level it works on my old laptop.
So that's a number of pesky issues and I wonder if there's a systemic fix or I need to try to deal with each individually.
If anyone has any ideas, I really appreciate it.