Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Navigation System Users

• Please log in to reply

ccorces1

ccorces1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I’m in the market for a new navigation system and need some help. The most important thing for me is obviously the map accuracy, but I’d also like a system that can support my growing infatuation with tech gadgets and entertainment. Pretty sure I want an in-dash because I’ve heard they last longer and are a better long-term investment. Someone help

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt get in dash, they cost more and are harder to upgrade you get far less choice and the best sets arent in the dash models. Unless you get it in the car when you buy it i wouldnt have it fitted later, also things like that can void your insurance on some policies if you fail to notify and can raise your premiums.

I recently got a tom tom 910 for my dad(he just started a job in london so needed something to get him around as his navigation skills SUCK big time. Its got a 20Gb hard drive(more a selling point for me) so as well as pretty much every region you can get for a tom tom and space to hold the rest, you can store pictures and music on it, also has bluetooth(another good thing for my dad) and connects straight away to your phone letting you dial and talk using it, it also came with all the tom tom accesories, its a great buy we got it for just over £400 which i think was a good deal.

ccorces1

ccorces1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
interesting, i've never heard some of those arguments against an in-dash unit, i feel like it would be much safer and more stable to have an in-dash unit, especially living in a city where break ins to automobiles aren't extremely uncommon. hypothetically if you were going to buy an in-dash unit which would you prefer?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To be honest i have never seen an in dash unit i was happy with, they have the disadvantage well of being in dash it adds costs and reduces flexibility, trust me if some one wants your in dash sat nav they can take it. Its also relativley unattractive prospect to get it fitted after the car is bought i dont know anyone who has fitted one in a new car after they had bought it.

I got my dad the tom tom for the reason he was going to a city, he doesnt leave it in the car he can take it with him and its a handheld sat nav, or he can put it in the lock box under the seat which is much harder to get at than something attached in the dash. Stability an in dash unit i dont like because you have to look down to see it, i like my sat nav in the windsreen where i can glance at it i like it up at the top next to the mirror so i can just glance and see without taking my eyes off the road, in dash thats eyes off the road.

So i cant reccomend one in dash, i havent even ever seen many in dash units that are non manufacturer they are really very rare(here at least). Everyone i know with one they purchased with the car. Also to me in dash its just prohibtivley expensive for 9 times out of 10 an inferior product.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm with scot on the non-in-dash units...

if you get an indash unit...you have to install it...which generally means...you've got to modify your dash...which means...when you sell the car....that GPS unit is going with it...with the non-in-dashers...if you're going on a trip with your friend...in their car...just pull the thing out and bring it with you..no worries about their navigation skills...

especially living in a city where break ins to automobiles aren't extremely uncommon

just because it's mounted in the dash...doesn't mean it's not stealable...my stereo was mounted in dash...and bolted in and all that fun stuff...it's gone...my kenwood keg was bolted to the floor of my truck....and it's gone...it's alot easier to take the device out of the car to keep it from getting stolen

i'm with scot on the tom tom too...i haven't used one...but i did ALOT of research on them a few months ago...and they've got a pretty good setup