Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AM2 Motherboards

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i been wanted to upgrade my computer for a long time.. but im not sure which motherboard to choose. i do want dual core acually.

i wonder if theres any mobo that supports AM2 and supports AGP. im not sure if theres any.. but theres gotta be one. becuase i dont want to throw away my AGP video card since its already good enough for me.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think there is one, at least ive never seen one its doubtful even if you found one it would be any good, AGP is almost completely dead as a socket it doesnt pay for companies to make new AGP motherboards.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
mm is there anyway i can upgrade the processor + mobo with out switching to pci - e?

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Count on being forced to upgrade mobo, processor and memory to ddr2 to move to an AM2 board.

There are plenty of cheap AM2 boards with built in graphics and a PCI-E slot for when you can afford a nifty new video card.

You won't find an AM2 board with AGP for sale anywhere, I have tried. Its a blessing in disguise. As stated above, AGP is dead.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
mm ok i kinda decide to give up on AGP and move on
*says bye to 6800XT/GS 256 MB card*

i kinda figured out. but im not sure what to get.
Heres my system now:

AMD Athlon 64+ 3000 2.0 ghz (754 socket)
1 gig samsung ram
160 + 250 harddrive
XFX nVida 6800XT/GS 256 mb agp
creative sound card

heres the stuff i want to upgrade but not sure =S, all in CND currency..
im not sure what motherboard should i get... any recommendations?
im also plaining to stick with the ram for now.. until i get more money to get another set.

$192 - Athlon 64 X2 3800+ AM2 512K dual core
$129 - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Socket AM2

$185 - XFX 7600 GT XXX 256 DDR3(590)
$169 - Sapphire X800 GTO 256MB
$169 - EVGA e-GeForce 7600GT 256 MB

Edited by silencer.dot, 17 November 2006 - 08:54 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AMD switched to DDR2 with AM2 im afraid the stuff you have now will be DDR and wont work. Motherboard wise, i like MSI, gigabyte or Abit are the other more obvious choices for you.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
You will definitely have to add DD2 Ram to your list.

For AM2 boards on a budget, I could suggest the M2N4-SLI by Asus. Now its a chipset older then most boards (Nforce 4 series) but supports everything current boards do, plus its SLI readi in case you ever go that route, and its dirt cheap right now at about 110 bucks CDN.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its dirt cheap for a reason, i dont touch asus with a barge pole, if they work they are fine they just dont always work.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
May want to change your mind about Gigabyte then, awhile ago they announced Asus would take over manufacture, but they would still be marketed as a distinct product.

Personally I have never had an ASUS, ABIT or Gigabyte board go bad and have no trouble recommending any of them.

Not trying to debate/argue, just saying my experiences differ from yours.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128321

i was looking at this.. is this good? i proberlyt will have to buy ddr2 ram..

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Looks fine to me.