Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitor

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I was wondering if you wanted two monitors do you need two video cards. Because when I was looking at te pictures of this video card it had two DVI ports.So do you need it for two monitors.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The cards have to support dual monitors. Nvidia usually say they have "twinview" that support dual monitors, and ATI usually calls theirs "Hydravision". Usually the newer cards with dual DVI outputs support dual monitors. The ones to be careful about is cards that have DVI and VGA outputs. Most of these do NOT support dual monitors.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

The ones to be careful about is cards that have DVI and VGA outputs. Most of these do NOT support dual monitors.

Ive never had one that didnt with both DVI and vga, most nvidias since the 5 series and ATI since at least the R5xxs had dual monitor and DVI and VGA options, i havent seen a new card without dual monitor in a while.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I would recommend getting a vid card with 2 DVI ports and an svideo port. With this setup you may still get a converter for VGA to DVI (mine came with this converter). So if you wanted to use a VGA monitor you got no problem and then you got the other port to use as dual monitoring. Then the s-video port can be used on something like your TV. :whistling:

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Just a quick question... is it possible to TRIPLE view???

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need a much more complicated setup, either a pair of gfx cards(not all combos will work) or a splitter that lets you connect multiple monitors to the same port and it will appear as a VERY wide resolution single monitor.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
i see...