Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with games crashing, maybe a virus?

• Please log in to reply

EMunkacsy

EMunkacsy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I hope that I am posting this in the correct place! I think the problem might be malware, but none of my anti-malware software was able to eliminate it (I use Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot - Search and Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Ewido Anti-Spyware, Avast, and ZoneAlarm firewall).

I am having a problem with two Elder Scrolls games:

Morrowind will occassionally (the frequency can be from every fifteen minutes to every few hours) lose the mouse. All of a sudden the game will completely freeze and pressing any key on the keyboard will do nothing. The mouse icon in the game will also freeze. However, the Windows mouse icon will appear (sometimes I have to click first, other times it appears by itself) and I can move this icon arround, but to no avail. The only thing that I can do at this point is turn off the power and restart.
Another thing that will occassionally happen with Morrowind is that it will suddenly mimimize. Sometimes I see another window in the minimize bar when it does this. It goes away after a moment. BTW, this mysterious minimized window has appeared at other times as well. I have no idea what this is, but it is the reason that I suspect the problem that I'm having with both Morrowind and Oblivion is because they are being interrupted by malware.

The problem I'm having with Oblivion is that it will frequently minimize and when I bring it up again, most controls will not work, I might be able to press tab and bring up my inventory, but then I will not be able to close it and then nothing I press will do anything. With one exception. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del will bring me back to Windows, to the Task Manager, where I can end program Oblivion.

The computer I'm running these games on is a Pentium III 799 mHz, with 768 MB RAM, 128 MB ATI Radeon graphics card, and 60+ hard drive. I know the processor is well below minimum specs for Oblivion, but it should be able to run Morrowind without a hitch.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I would GREATLY appreciate any help! :whistling:

Advertisements