Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compressed files

• Please log in to reply

ksco

ksco

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was using the Disk Cleanup accesory in XP to free up some space and selected the "Compress old files" option. I've never done this before and now most of my files are compressed (listed in explore in blue text instead of black). Is this a bad idea? Is there a way to undo this? I'm using a laptop. I work as a DJ and use it to play mp3s through iTunes. Most of these mp3s were compressed during this process, will that cause any problems? I'm concerned because mp3s are already compressed files.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows will automatically de-compress the files 'on the fly' when you try to open or play them, and re-compress them when they are closed.
This may cause a slightly longer opening time compared to uncompressed files but will be hardly noticeable on a reasonably specified system.

The fact that mp3 files are already compressed is nothing to worry about. It simply means the amount of space that can be freed up will be less for them than for other files such as Word documents, for example. Your mp3 files probably won't compress any further but Windows is aware of this when making it's calculations.

Windows compression and mp3 compression are not related. It won't degrade your mp3 files at all.

Edited by pip22, 18 November 2006 - 06:37 AM.