Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What died on me? battery? motherboard? monitor?

• Please log in to reply

tutankamon

tutankamon

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long post I tried to give as much detail as possible.

Laptop: LG LS 50a model, 512MB RAM 1,7 Ghz centrino processor, windows xp

Problem:

Playing a game of civilization after downloading a new driver for the graphics card (from manufacturers website) a day before.....suddenly at one point my laptop screen just goes black (not sure if it shut down).

I restart with no problem and at the same point of the game the same thing hapens.

But I can not restart any more.

When plugged into electricity, the laptop starts starting up, but shuts itself down after 1 sec. (Only the LG screen appears for a 1 sec and the loading bar gets about to 50%)

When not plugged into electricity, it does not sturt up at all.

day after:

When I unplugged and plugged in again the laptop it would not start at all. I waited 5 minutes and it started for 1 sec. I waited 2 hours and it started for 5 MIN! Windows loaded and I was writing an e-mail in outlook when suddenly the screen goes BLACK.

The weirdest thing, it did not go completely black, at the background I could see very very hardly the outlook program and the laptop would still be running.

I turned off the laptop and tried to restart....it would do so only for 1 sec.

I waited for 2 hours now to see if i can get at least back into the ¨5 min¨ running, but it will only start up for one sec again.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Wow, this is a bazaar one... Well, how old is it? Have you ever replaced that battery before? Have you made any other changes to the system recently?

tutankamon

tutankamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I bought the laptop 2 years ago. I changed the hardisk some 9 months ago. Other than that...nothing.
I really wish it would just be that replacable battery at the back.....

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It might be... Those only last about a year or so... Have you ever replaced it before?

tutankamon

tutankamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
NO NEVER REPLACED IT BEFORE

tutankamon

tutankamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
brought it to the repair shop and I have to wait one week only for the price of fixing it, not an actual fixing :whistling:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
at one point you said it got black but you could still barely see the outlines.... that may mean a backlight on the LCD screen went out. if they are obtainable those usually are not too expensive..... it could be a battery issue. did you ever try running it without the battery in it? Note some machines will not start at all without a battery...

Unfortunately if it's not either the backlight, the power adaptor or the battery it will probably be quite espensive to fix as most everything else is intergrated into the motherboard and both the motherboard and the lcd are VERY expensive to replace usually...

tutankamon

tutankamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks for the reply shard.....

The monitor did go black and I could see things behind but it would eventually shut down completely anyways.
I did try turning the computer on without the battery, but it did not start up at all as you say.

When I brought it to the repair shop, the computer started at first normally (not connected even to the electricity!) and the windows loaded up no problem....but the battery said it was at 0%,.....when plugged into the electricity it still remained at 0% andeventually crashed...which kind of made me think it could be the batery......but the guy in the repair shop said he doesn´t think so ... for whatever reason....
He did not look to bright to me that is true, but damit...e works in the repair shop and I have absolutely no knowledge about motherboards or power supplies.

z3185

z3185

• Pip
  • 5 posts
MY IBM T41 did the same and experienced the same exact problems.. Answer is your Motherboard!. My was fried!.

You can try to replace but everyone I have spoken to recommends a new computer.

Good Luck

tutankamon

tutankamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes.....it is the motherboard in the end.
and yes...everybody recommends a new comp, but nobody tells me the reason.
I have left it in the official LG repair shop (my laptop is LG) and thus I hope to get a suitable motherboard.
I opted against buying a new comp, because I really am superbroke at the moment.

z3185

z3185

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Did you ever spill any water on the computer or any other liquid on it at any time in the past ? Just curious.....I think mine went b/c a dog knocked over a beer with his tail on mine about a year ago.

tutankamon

tutankamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
never.....I really have no idea why it died on me.