Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chkdsk command will not run

• Please log in to reply

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Greetings and thanks for such a great site. Have looked through the posts for the operating system WXP 200 and have not found anything matching my exact problem.

I tried to defrag about a week ago and was advised that I did not have the required 10% memory available to complete the defrag. I commenced copying files to other media (Maxtor drive and CD-R), then eliminating files and uninstalling unused programs to free up memory.

I used Roxio 5 CD Creator to copy pictures and files to CD-R. This process locked up several times and I had to force the PC to close by holding in the power button each time. 2 days ago, when rebooting from one of these forced closings, the PC went to a blue screen that advised it was going to check disks on the PC. I let this run and it gave an error message faster than the human eye can read it. I found how to keep this message up: "Stop 0x0000007e-(0xc000005, 0xf77ecc27, 0xf8be1840, 0xf8be153c: tbspud.sys address f77ecc27base@F77d400 datestamp 3b8d7887. It then reboots to this unless interrupted by hitting any key in 10 seconds. The PC then successfully boots, slowly (3 minutes to use a program). I have used the RUN cmd to try to use the chkdsk /f command but have been advised that the disk is in use and do I want to run chkdsk automatically when I reboot Yes or No. I enter Y and I still get the same loop on rebooting.

I do now have memory volume reduced below that magic 10%.

MOSS 14 :whistling:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
just curious but what happens when you try this in safemode

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try this if you get to your desktop...start...run ...type in ...msconfig....in the start up tab ...uncheck everything EXCEPT ..your antivirus and firewall...and if your using a cordless keyboard and mouse...leave that checked as well...if this is a laptop you will have to be more selective on what you uncheck because you may want to use the touchpad...then try burning your pic's and music to cd's.....I'm not 100 % sure but I thought in order to defrag you needed 15 % free space

Edited by happyrck, 18 November 2006 - 11:23 AM.

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Greetings and thanks for such a great site. Have looked through the posts for the operating system WXP 200 and have not found anything matching my exact problem.

I tried to defrag about a week ago and was advised that I did not have the required 10% memory available to complete the defrag. I commenced copying files to other media (Maxtor drive and CD-R), then eliminating files and uninstalling unused programs to free up memory.

I used Roxio 5 CD Creator to copy pictures and files to CD-R. This process locked up several times and I had to force the PC to close by holding in the power button each time. 2 days ago, when rebooting from one of these forced closings, the PC went to a blue screen that advised it was going to check disks on the PC. I let this run and it gave an error message faster than the human eye can read it. I found how to keep this message up: "Stop 0x0000007e-(0xc000005, 0xf77ecc27, 0xf8be1840, 0xf8be153c: tbspud.sys address f77ecc27base@F77d400 datestamp 3b8d7887. It then reboots to this unless interrupted by hitting any key in 10 seconds. The PC then successfully boots, slowly (3 minutes to use a program). I have used the RUN cmd to try to use the chkdsk /f command but have been advised that the disk is in use and do I want to run chkdsk automatically when I reboot Yes or No. I enter Y and I still get the same loop on rebooting.

I do now have memory volume reduced below that magic 10%.

MOSS 14 :whistling:

When launching in Safe Mode it locks up after rolling through a black screen full of lines of script most ending in /drivers

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

just curious but what happens when you try this in safemode

Locks up with a black screen full of script lines that end mostly /driver

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

you can also try this if you get to your desktop...start...run ...type in ...msconfig....in the start up tab ...uncheck everything EXCEPT ..your antivirus and firewall...and if your using a cordless keyboard and mouse...leave that checked as well...if this is a laptop you will have to be more selective on what you uncheck because you may want to use the touchpad...then try burning your pic's and music to cd's.....I'm not 100 % sure but I thought in order to defrag you needed 15 % free space

Thanks - I have the stuff copied that I need in case this really gets ugly. At the moment my HD memory stands at 29.9 GB used and 7.29 GB available, think that should make it for either %.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try disconnecting everything from your computer EXCEPT the monitor keyboard and mouse....
when you can't boot into safe mode it could be
Incompatible video adapter drivers.
• Damaged RAM.
• A damaged device driver or system service.
• If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program.

follow the instructions below

Remove unsigned drivers
If you cannot start Windows in Safe mode, remove all drivers that are not digitally signed by Microsoft.

For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/316434/

if no joy ..post back and we can try some other tricks...

Edited by happyrck, 18 November 2006 - 01:37 PM.

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

try disconnecting everything from your computer EXCEPT the monitor keyboard and mouse....
• Damaged RAM.
• If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program.

Remove unsigned drivers
If you cannot start Windows in Safe mode, remove all drivers that are not digitally signed by Microsoft.

For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Thanks - have printed out the link instructions and will report back

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

• Damaged RAM.

Remove unsigned drivers

Happyrck from no joy MOSS 14

Disconnected everything from my PC save, KB, Mouse and Monitor. Identified 20 unsigned Drivers and moved to a bakup file. Rebooted hit F8 / booted in safe mode but locked up again. Tried regular boot but still got the blue screen need to check disk and then it rebooted until interupted.

Thanks for your patience.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this
Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the prompt in the command window that opens,
type fsutil dirty query c: and press "Enter".

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

Type exit and press "Enter" to close the command session.

Edited by happyrck, 18 November 2006 - 08:43 PM.

Advertisements

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Response to query is c: is dirty

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c c: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
  • exit .... (To close the command session)
  • Reboot
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive. (Is Not Dirty)

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still wants to run on startup.

also do you now or ever have had PC Anywhere or goback3 deluxe installed on your computer...

Edited by happyrck, 19 November 2006 - 09:55 AM.

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No Spyware Doctor or Zone alarm - Using AVG Free Virus protectin and Windows Firewall and Spyware blocker, have Spy Bot and Adware as back up. I gave up on AOL antivirus (free) after having to reinstall it and getting tired of messages about questionable file, scanning and receiving the all clear. AVG deleted about a 1 G of trojans when I ran it (yesterday).

No PC anywhere or goback 3 deluxe. If we need to share desktop or control I have used Messenger to teach and can share via that software.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

No Spyware Doctor or Zone alarm - Using AVG Free Virus protectin and Windows Firewall and Spyware blocker, have Spy Bot and Adware as back up. I gave up on AOL antivirus (free) after having to reinstall it and getting tired of messages about questionable file, scanning and receiving the all clear. AVG deleted about a 1 G of trojans when I ran it (yesterday).

No PC anywhere or goback 3 deluxe. If we need to share desktop or control I have used Messenger to teach and can share via that software.

with a Gig of trojans you will need to get Hijack this ...do a scan and post the log in the malware removal section...

http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

get HJT and how to here...

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

MOSS 14

MOSS 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Happyrck - thanks for your help. I did follow your instructions and the chkdsk stopped in phase 1. Also the first two chkntfs commands went fine the 3rd said that "this type of file system is not NTFS.

I am off to the malware removal section.

I offer you a virtual dram of Laphroig - Slainte