Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

longer USB cable affect performance?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
i just got a linksys instant wireless usb adapter WUSB11 ver 4.0 & teh USB cable im using is like 4 ft long.If I was to use a longer USB cable (like 8ft long) would it affect my internet negitively? Like the longer the USB cable the poorer the performance?

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
cable length could have an impact but not likely a noticeable affect with 8 ft vs 4 ft.

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
some usb wireless adapters dont like going thru a usb hub either...like my SMC802.11b/g refuses to stay connectted when going thru hub...plug it directly into computer...another thing about using SMC house wireing connection to router..the power adapter CAN"T be plugged into a surge protector...it will not work