Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

longer USB cable affect performance?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
i just got a linksys instant wireless usb adapter WUSB11 ver 4.0 & teh USB cable im using is like 4 ft long.If I was to use a longer USB cable (like 8ft long) would it affect my internet negitively? Like the longer the USB cable the poorer the performance?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
cable length could have an impact but not likely a noticeable affect with 8 ft vs 4 ft.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
some usb wireless adapters dont like going thru a usb hub either...like my SMC802.11b/g refuses to stay connectted when going thru hub...plug it directly into computer...another thing about using SMC house wireing connection to router..the power adapter CAN"T be plugged into a surge protector...it will not work