Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good website building tuts/advice?

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I am building my first website with my friend (image design) and I want to create an archive of past images. See my friend might be interested in making comics so I thought a new image/comic weekly or whenever he's done.. I wanted to create something like this: http://www.vgcats.co...s/?strip_id=216

Have an archive, next and back thing, first and last, all that stuff. I have dreamweaver and an understanding of basic HTML, know any good tuts and/or advice? Thanks!

Edited by Comrade General, 18 November 2006 - 02:07 PM.

Advertisements

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
there are many good ones in our tutorials section

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

there are many good ones in our tutorials section

All I see is this:

http://www.geekstogo...rial-t1981.html

Not to be rude, but not even a guy with tons of HTML experience knows what this stuff means. :/

Are there any others I passed or..?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
That site is written in php, and would have a mysql database to store the data. Are you up to leaning php? It is quite a bit harder than html and there are no tools like dreamweaver to help you with it.

Edited by Michael, 19 November 2006 - 01:32 AM.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

That site is written in php, and would have a mysql database to store the data. Are you up to leaning php? It is quite a bit harder than html and there are no tools like dreamweaver to help you with it.

Hmm, is there a way to do like this idea for an archive in HTML?

Attached Thumbnails

• layout.PNG

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You could do it in html, but it is going to be very high maintenance. Every time you add a new comic you would have to make a new page for the comic. Update every pages last button. Add a next button to the previous page and add another link to the archive. Were as doing it with php would be as easy as fill in a form, press submit and your done.

You might be able to find scripts that do this on something like http://www.hotscripts.com

I could write it for you if I had the time.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
You could? That'd be very kind, but I will let that offer slide for now since I kind of want to learn website stuff on me own. :whistling:

Hmm, any general area to look? I can't find anything that I might want.

I really didn't picture my archive with the thumbnail idea being hard. :S

Edited by Comrade General, 19 November 2006 - 06:03 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I got my last school exam later this week, maybe after that.

Try this link http://www.hotscript...ries/index.html

If you want to do php start with http://www.w3schools...php/default.asp In the long run it might be faster. If you get stuck just post and we will sort the problem out.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
One more question, I bet this one is easy, how do you put an icon next to the address? Like the red G when I come to this forum.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
upload a favicon.ico to your web directory. If you can't make ico files give me the image and I will do it.

You can also add <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" > but I never do because most browsers in my experience check for it anyway.

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Here's the image, I tried a plugin to save it as a ico file but it caused photoshop to crash.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled_2.gif

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You do realize that by the time you shrink it down to icon size, that image will hardly be recognizable?

Also, the icon is supposed to be a micro image that represents your site, that is really the picture that you want people to think of when they think of your website?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I agree with ScHwErV, would I dare to do other wise :whistling:

As you can see it is just a little brown blob. You might want to think of something else.

Attached Files

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Well I found out how to do it anyways but thanks. Mind you this is just to find out HOW to, I really never put thought into what it looks like.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Think you can create an archive page? I didn't get much time over Thanksgiving like I thought I was. :| :whistling: