Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good website building tuts/advice?

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I go to the beach for 10 days tomorrow :help: (it is summer here) and will not have access to a computer. :blink:

After I come back I'll give it a shot. :whistling:

Till then you could try and find a script that does this some were. Of even ask them what they used http://www.vgcats.com/contact/

Edited by Michael, 03 December 2006 - 04:01 AM.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
FavIcon from Pics

http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I going to start to night or tomorrow you can watch (and comment on) the progress of the comic image gallery at http://testomoz.org/...s/comic_gallery

This could be lots of fun

Edited by Michael, 15 December 2006 - 02:56 AM.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Pause making it for a bit. :whistling:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I could not resist doing it. You can see it at http://testomoz.org/...s/comic_gallery If you like it I will ZIP it up and put is here.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Hmm and I just happened to check back today! What luck. Well I had a guy doing some coding but I only asked him to something really simple and he's taken over 2 [bleep]ing weeks (and he has time, I see him ingame and on talk to him on MSN a lot) so yah, if you wanna put the zip on here, I'd be happy. :whistling:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Here it is, hope you like it. If you want any changes I will do that, I am going to add it to hotscripts.com once your happy with it.

You have to edit the settings in connect.php, and then run the install.php. And chmod the images folder to 666. Your coding friend might be able to help you if you get stuck with the settings. You also need to add to the header.php and footer.php so it fits into your web site.

What kind of coding is your friend doing?

Attached Files

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
This is my coding friend:

Your script seems to have an issue. I'm getting a warning when I run install.php:

"Warning: include(header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/geekswho/public_html/kane/gallery/abc/index.php on line 42

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/geekswho/public_html/kane/gallery/abc/index.php on line 42"

"Warning: include(header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/geekswho/public_html/kane/gallery/abc/index.php on line 42

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/geekswho/public_html/kane/gallery/abc/index.php on line 42"

Also, how is the script supposed to be structured directory-wise? Please reply as soon as possible, and thank you.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi this reply fast enough :whistling:

The script itself can be put in any directory, and it has an images folder in it.

The warning looks simple, the header.php can't be found, are you sure you coding friend uploaded it?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
We got it working.

Just the question now is:

How can we delete entries?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I forgot about that :whistling:

I will write something up in just a moment.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Ok delete script written. I also noticed a security hole and a bug in the admin.php and made the code in index.php and archive.php a bit more readable.

Have fun :whistling:

Attached Files

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Its good now but my coding friend says:

"First off, make sure you are validating input you feed into SQL statements. magic_quotes and mysql_real_whatever don't go all that well together tho. and ensure that session_start() is called before sending any HTML?"

Now I was wondering can you code my layout someone made for me? Really simple I think. Add a hyperlink to the index.php then I don't know, but a news script? I heard PHP does that too? Like CNCNZ.com they have those clips of text and etc.

Seems really simple but I haven't learned much. I think I'm going to wait till I can take a class. I'm not a great learner with just reading/doing it. I learn better if someone says have to do it, does it, and I try to mimic. Or visual aids helps. :whistling:

Edited by Comrade General, 01 January 2007 - 08:49 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I realize you should validate the input, but it not as if your going to try and put something nasty in to mess up your setup. If it was something where anyone could input text I would be more careful. Simply, I don't expect you to attack your own site.

Your coding friend can't do your layout?

By news script you mean something like a blog? I which case you could just get a blog and use that.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
my coding friend could, but he says he wants to make it look "nice" and I bugged in for weeks and he always said "tomorrow" and never came up. It was a really simple thing, a couple of hyperlinks and bam, but nooo.

A blog? Hmm, maybe? Look at www.cncnz.com doesn't that look like a news script or something?

edit: he says back "but what if an outside intruder did?"

Edited by Comrade General, 01 January 2007 - 11:47 PM.