Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my cd drive reads blank disks but not cds/cd-roms!

• Please log in to reply

orphanedhanyou

orphanedhanyou

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i can insert cds i've burned myself of music or of pics but the disks that are official cd and programs aren't being read. the device manager says the drive is working properly and i'm not very technical so any help would be greatly appreciated!
:whistling:
orphanedhanyou

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i can insert cds i've burned myself of music or of pics but the disks that are official cd and programs aren't being read. the device manager says the drive is working properly and i'm not very technical so any help would be greatly appreciated!
:whistling:
orphanedhanyou

Try to update the firmware on your cd drive and try uninstalling any virtual cd drives on your pc if you have any that is.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try going to the device manager in the control panel and uninstall the CD drive reboot and let windows "find " new hardware...it should reinstall the drive and necessary drivers...

orphanedhanyou

orphanedhanyou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
is there any way to not uninstall the drive? its my sisters computer and i don't have any disks or any of that junk so.... do you know anything else i can do? :whistling:

thanks! orphanedhanyou

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you are using XP ....windows will install the device and the drivers necessary...you will not need any additional disks