Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this ram be compatible with my computer?

• Please log in to reply

Bill Cutter

Bill Cutter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's the thing: my computer came with 512mb pc2700 ddr RAM. I have a stick of 512mb pc2100 ddr RAM. Now ive heard from other sites that pc700 should work on computers with pc2100. Im wondering if my PC2100 stick would work with my computer....I've installed it correctly and everything but its definately not registering with my computer. Is there anything i can do so that my computer will run with it or do i have to buy another pc2700 stick? Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This depends on the computer. I have run PC2100 on systems that are able to run PC3200 memory, it just runs a bit slower. Now i do have a AMD computer that runs PC2700 memory that will not boot up if i have PC2100 memory in it. I do not know why because it should be compatable with the lower speed memory. Since you have tried it and it does not work you will need to buy some PC2700 memory. Some motherboard makers do not include backward compatablilty in the bios for older memory and that is where memory is configured from.

SRX660

Bill Cutter

Bill Cutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply. Mine is AMD as well and I just recently found out that it's only compatible with pc2700 and pc3200.