Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't open European data (photos) CD-R on US computer

• Please log in to reply

condo-rider

condo-rider

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just received CD-R discs with photos from Croatia. All of the words on the physical disc and case are in English. Can't get them to open (or even for my computers to recognize that the discs are inserted). SO, I'm wondering if there is an incompatability between European systems and USA systems such that we can't use these discs at all. OR, if that is true, wondering if there is a way to jump-start the reader and get the data into my computer.

Put the discs in my Mac (the real working computer), and it won't read them. Put them in my older Compaq laptop with XP, asked it to "open" and it kept telling me there is no disc inserted. (I've tried several times, and am very sure the disc is in correctly.) These are very clean, had to have been brand new when the data was burned, and sent right to me.

Thanks for any ideas and help. I'm no geek, so please write as though to a small (computer illiterate) child!!

Advertisements

oldalgore

oldalgore

• Pip
  • 3 posts
child???,,,,,,,,,, how about noob
to cut to the chase the cds the machine they were recorded on is recording for that "region"
ok you never herd of that ,np, most cd rom players are set to regions where they can play and record. NOw for Croatia im not sure of the setting, but like here in Australia its number 4,in the USA i think its number 1
* i just checked on my machine what region Crotia is and its number 2, so if you set your players region to number 2 they should play or you should be able to read
ok gl alan

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

child???,,,,,,,,,, how about noob
to cut to the chase the cds the machine they were recorded on is recording for that "region"
ok you never herd of that ,np, most cd rom players are set to regions where they can play and record. NOw for Croatia im not sure of the setting, but like here in Australia its number 4,in the USA i think its number 1
* i just checked on my machine what region Crotia is and its number 2, so if you set your players region to number 2 they should play or you should be able to read
ok gl alan

CD-R's have no region restrictions in them whatsoever, commercial DVDs do, self-burnt ones don't.
Any CD-R burnt in any machine should be readable in any other machine.

It's possible that the burn wasn't successful but for whatever reason was flagged as having been done properly. Check the data side of the CD for signs of the burn marks around the CD, some burners are more obvious at this than others.

As you've tried the disks in two machines, the best solution is to contact your friend in Croatia and ask for new copies. If the packages have been X-Rayed through Customs, it is possible that they were wiped that way, though very unlikely.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, no restrictions, alot of mail entering the US is irradiated(X-ray and gamma ive never seen an xray on a CD but i know gamma screws disks quite similar to microwave radiation) which can on CDs cause problems. Using an antistatic bag would help make sure that doesnt happen. You could also consider a data transfer via the internet, posting the sites to an image or file host where you can view and download them. That's usually the easiest way sending data on a physical medium can be a pain.

condo-rider

condo-rider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for all of the ideas. The discs do appear to have "burn" lines, so the x-rays were likely the culprit.