Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep being taken to Safe Mode page

• Please log in to reply

Kodachi

Kodachi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Last night, I put CD-Rom game "Second Sight" on my laptop (which is running on a Windows XP, home edition). I also put a backup program from my new external hard drive "My Book" on the laptop for the very first time too. Nothing the matter. I save my game on my new hard drive rather than my notebook to save space. Still no problems. I was playing my "Second Sight" game untill I found that I stupidly forgot to plug in my laptop so it shut off on me. I plugged it in, turned it on and noticed that everything was bigger on my laptop. My icons, my IM programs, everything. I brushed it off at first because when I play a game, the screen always did that. Its just that it would snap back to normal very soon so I never worried about it. This time it didn't. When the laptop snapped off, a game was going, a new program and it dealt with a lot of info to process I'm sure. That's probably what kept the screen the way it was. Now I know that the resolution was at 800x600 and originally it is suppose to be at 1280x800 (as if I knew). I completely freaked out and chatted with HP a good amount of times. They told me to re-instal the visual driver (I have an AMD Turion 64 processor), I did. Nothing. Then they told me that I would have to go to the command prompt and do a system restore. I have an HP Pavillion dv5210us laptop, there are no restoration disks, its all in the comp. When I did it from 'Accessories', things were perfectly fine. Nothing changed. Still everything was big tho. Then I did the idiot move of pressing F8 when I saw the HP symbol, got to the Safe Mode page, selected "Safe Mode with command prompt" and found that I got the same thing, the System Restore program. So I asked for it to go to a date beyond this "issue". That would be November the 8, when I didn't have "Second Sight" and My Book on my laptop. That spurted an issue. I kept getting a screen talking about how it couldn't do anything to "E:\" (My USB drive that the My Book used and the path of my Second Sight game). I thought nothing of it and clicked "ok". So now my laptop is going through the motions of getting itself restored and starting my misery. It started up like normal, and then a blue screen talking about new programs are causing issues - I never got to read it all, it stayed up there for literately a couple of seconds. After the blue screen I'm sent to the Safe Mode option screen. There the options were that I could choose "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", "Reconfigure to Last Known Good System" (or something along those lines), and "Start Windows Normally". I choose to start Windows normally. Oh no no no. I got sent back to the starting HP logo that I get whenever I turn the laptop on. This happened several times until I noted that my My Book was still connected to the laptop. I took it out but I found it odd that prior this whole situation, the My Book would turn on and off with the laptop just fine. Taking away the My Book didn't work. Still it went through the cycle that my laptop would start out fine loading under the Window XP logo, then it would show up the blue page - I'd read just a couple words off it before it blinks off - then it would show me to the Safe Mode selection screen. I first fought with it and demanded that it would start Windows like normal but I would let it count away and do the same process over and over and over again. It only stopped when I was in the middle of a call bickering with an HP rep (in India?! I'm talking to a dude in India about something I bought in America which was made in China!). That's when the laptop loaded what I believed at the time was normally. Even the resolution was fixed. By this time I had undone a restore so I figured that's what did it. All was spiffy until I started up my laptop again and even tried to put Prince of Persia, The Two Thrones on it. It began to act up again but it is starting to listen to me more when I ask to start Windows normally. Now Windows says that it doesn't have a clue what happen, is offering me updates (which I am taking up on) and I'm stuck with this issue.

Someone help me! :whistling:

Advertisements