Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LAN connection status tab

• Please log in to reply

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi all,

At the bottom right of your screnn there should be 2 computers which when you are on the net they comminucate.

When you double click on them, there is a "connection" and "activity" sub headings.

In the "activity", my sent and receive was always in megabytes. For some strange reason it is know in packets. Does anybody have any idea how to change this??

Thanks

Peter.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I'm not sure if you can change it from packets to megabytes. A packet is information which has been formatted for transport (see following link for further information). I know that when I had a dial-up internet connection (with an external usb 56k modem) it would tell me how much in megabytes, but now that I have adsl broadband, I connect to a Netgear adsl modem through the ethernet port, which tells me how many packets sent and received, because it's a different means of sending information. Also, the pic of two computers shows that your computer is connected: Depending on the specifications of your computer, you could have a few of these, and/or wireless as well, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet

Is this what you meant? Did you recently change your type of connection?

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi ruthandtoy,

That makes sense. When i had dialup with optus, it was in megabyes. Know that i have Bigpond ADSL it is in packets.

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Peter.

:whistling: