Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser within a browser

• Please log in to reply

Moistman

Moistman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a problem I've never seen before. Spontaneously, over the weekend, for no reason at all, my IE 6.0 SP1 has stopped bringing up a secondary browser-within-a-browser whenever I click on a link on any website. The secondary browser BEGINS to open.....but never finishes. The address bar doesn't populate, and the secondary browser never finishes loading.

I first noticed this while in my Yahoo email, when I clicked on a jpg attachment. The FRAME of the secondary browser popped up (as in "empty picture frame....just the four sides with the address bar along the top) but never finished loading, and never went anywhere. I thought it might be an isolated Yahoo problem, but it wasn't. In exploring the problem, I found that no clickable link anywhere will complete the "opening a new browser" process. Not on any website, not from within an email message in my outlook.

I thought it might be a popup blocker problem. I uninstalled the Google toolbar. I uninstalled my Ad-Aware Ad-watch program. I even uninstalled my Norton. Nothing helped.

I even re-loaded my entire IE. Again......no help.

Any ideas?

MM

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try uninstalling and re-installing SP1 along with IE 6.0. May have a few missing or corrupted files. Also, there is/was a virus propagating via jpeg formats and Yahoo Mail is a good source.

Ron