Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Administrator Account

• Please log in to reply

SeaLady

SeaLady

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My Windows XP Home Editions Administrator user account somehow became corrupted.

I created a new user account with admin privleges.

When I reboot my system it reboots to the orignial admin account, then I have to log off to switch
to my new user admin account.

When it's done that way, I cannot delete old account because both accounts are logged in.

I've turned off the Welcome screen and that turns off fast user switching.

When I use fast user switching, I only see my new user and guest accounts, not the original admin account.

How can I fix this and delete the old admin account?

When I'm logged in with the new account in task manager it shows double the processes running because 2 users are logged in, that's using a lot of resources isn't it?

I finally got all my files copied to the new user, took forever to find out how to transfer Firefox files, but I finally did it.

Second problem:

I'm using Firefox 2.0 now and I have about an 2 inch blank space at the bottom of the browser window and over to the left is a tiny red up arrow. Can't drag it to resize so don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Hope you can help. :whistling:

Glenda
Easy Pet Search
Glenda Schloff
MoneyWave
Leave me a message:
QMTP

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If you boot to safe mode, it shouldn't log anything in automatically, and you should be able to do your account maintenance there.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Or in the first situation when fast user switching was enabled you could have logged on your new admin account and then logged off the other corrupt one from the users tab in Task Manager.

-OCM770-

SeaLady

SeaLady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]

**Kurenai
If you boot to safe mode, it shouldn't log anything in automatically, and you should be able to do your account maintenance there.

-OCM770-
Or in the first situation when fast user switching was enabled you could have logged on your new admin account and then logged off the other corrupt one from the users tab in Task Manager.**

Thank you both for your help.

Kurenai:
I did boot to safe mode and still couldn't change or delete my corrupted user name.

OCM770
I understand what you mean, but when I logged on with fast user switching enabled. It logged me on as the corrupted user... I then have to log off and switch to my new user name. When I do that, the only names showing on the login screen are my new user name and 'guest'. So I can't log off of the corrupt one because I don't see that name. But I can try that again now that you've told me about seeing it in task manager.

I'll post again to let you know what happened.

SeaLady

SeaLady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I still can't delete old profile. The buttons are grayed out when I try from the new profile or in safe mode.

When rebooting, it still starts up in old profile. So I just log off instead of switching users. Everything's fine except for that and a couple of bugs in Firefox. LOL, so far anyway.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
:whistling:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there SeaLady, it sounds like you are trying to delete "root" account (Main Administrators account)

This cannot be done as this is vital for your system. Usually when you install a computer you get a seprate account from your Admin account but it sounds like you are using the main account. Try this to hide it from the welcome screen so that it does't log in automatically...

We are now going to edit registry therefore we have to back it up before we make any changes... If anything goes wrong we then at least have a restore point.

Backing Up the Windows XP Registry:
> Click Start
> Click Run...
> Type in "regedit.exe"
> Click File menu
> Click Export...
> Make sure Export range is set to All
> Name the file "Myregr.reg"

Save it any where onto your computer as long as you can find it.

Now that we have made a backup of your registry we can now get on with the fix.

> Navigate to the following key in regedit.exe:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

> Look for a entry called Administrator, if there is one skip these next few steps highlighted in blue. If not continue...

> Right-click in the right pane and select New DWORD Value.
> Type-in Administrator as the value.

> Double-click Administrator, and assign a value of 0

With your other new account if it is listed assign the value as 1

You can now close regedit.exe and restart your computer to see if it works.

On your other problem of Firefox I would suggest uninstalling and re-installing the program... Different users, use different setting and this could be the reason your firefox is having problems.

(It seems you know how to get your profile files from firefox, so back them up before you uninstall. If not let me know and I will give you instructions)

Let me know if you have any troubles following the steps I have giving you and let me know if your problem still persists.

Cool :whistling: