Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File share options ?

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have set up file and print sharing on my home network.

But when I get to step 33 of spacecowboy's setup. I don't have all the tabs that he states. I only have 2 tabs on the folder that I want to share. One is General and the other is share. I also can not check and of the boxes. It states to drag and drop the folder to the My Network folder.

Why do I not have the tabs for Secuity and the other ones. I don't want to share unless I can set the security.

3 systems
2 running windows xp pro sp2
1 running windows xp home with sp2

None of the systems have these options. I think I have everything setup right because I can print from the other systems that are NOT hook to the printer.

Edited by duley3, 19 November 2006 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Please...

Does anyone have any ideas of why I don't have the tabs.. If your just jumping in here [lease read the above post..

robert47

robert47

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm assuming you can not see the security tab in your folder properties.
If this is the case it probably means you are using simple file sharing on your XP Pro systems.
To change this - in my documents click on tools, folder options, view, and clear the box for "use simple file sharing" (at the bottom). Click OK and you should then see the security tab on your folder properties in XP Pro only.
You will not find this option on XP Home as XP Home only uses simple file sharing. This is one of the differences to XP Pro.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks, I'll have a look when I get home tonight. Thanks again for the reply. I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong.

Edited by duley3, 21 November 2006 - 11:45 AM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

If this is the case it probably means you are using simple file sharing on your XP Pro systems.

Yup, You were right. So with the simple file sharing. Is it safe to share file? Or should I not share the senitive (sp) Docs.

robert47

robert47

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Glad it worked. With simple file sharing your shared docs are only as secure as your network. i.e. anyone with access to computers on your home network can access shared docs.
There's lots of info. on microsoft.com starting with KB304040.
Hopefully you have a firewall in place to protect your network from outside access.
If you need a higher level of security with password protection on your files then you need XP Pro all round so you can set Share & NTFS permissions.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks again for the info.

I have my network locked up as tight as I can get it. I guess it really don't mater too much. It's not like I have top secret info. stored on my systems. I'm only sharing school docs. and music file anyway. I just wanted to know how safe it was and why I didn't have what Spacecowboy said.

Thanks again.... :whistling: