Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Connection Issue

• Please log in to reply

nah

nah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just bought a new computer. I put the ethernet cable from my old computer into the new one and ran the CD that I got from the cable company. The CD says I have no connection to the internet and tries to change or correct my TCP/IP settings but it still fails after that. Is there something really simple I am missing??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The CD from your cable company was there to configure the modem, not to set anything special on the computer.
Who manufacturered your cable modem?

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

If you still have your old computer try and see if you can get the network settings off that one and fill it in, in the new computer. With my ISP, I was told to forego the CD(network settings) it came with completely
and manually configure, if all else fails give your ISP a call and they should be able to give you the right
settings.

Hope this helps

nah

nah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The manufacture of my modem is Scientific Atlanta.

I still have my old computer. I have looked around but cant seem to find where my network settings are located. I have windows 98 and I'm going to Windows XP. If someone can help me locate the proper information I need to transfer to my new computer that would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at Control Panel -> Network -> TCP/IP... I have "obtain IP address automatically" checked so I don't know where to find that or if I even need that.

Thanks for your help.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi can you please post the model number of your modem here, and also are the old and new computers both running windows 98.

nah

nah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

My old computer is running Windows 98 and my new computer is running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

My modem's model is: DPX2203

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I apologize for the lag between posts, I went on vacation.

Here is what I believe is happening:

The modem stores the MAC address of your old computer, making it the only piece of hardware in the world that it will let online. You need to make the modem forget that.
Here is exactly what you need to do, down to the letter:
1. Connect the modem to your PC via ethernet. Make sure no USB cable is connected.
2. Call your ISP. Tell them that you purchased a new computer, connected it to the modem, and the computer cannot get online. There are two or three ways I would go about fixing the problem, all of them modem side, but yours is a fairly complex modem, and hitting the wrong button, or changing the wrong setting, could seriously mess up your service.
3. Do what your ISP says.
4. You should be online at this point.